Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Which of these bikes would you buy? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Which of these bikes would you buy?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Which of these bikes would you buy?

Petrol prices are rising and speed limits are lowering. Do we really need 180mph rocketships, or would we be just as happy with a bike that has much greater mpg but a lower top speed?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Its not all about miles per gallon, what about smiles per gallon?

I think bmw are looking into a turbo diesel bike, could be good my 320d has 160 bhp and over 50 mpg its good to drive also. They have the technology to do it. I recon 150 bhp and 80 mpg is easily possible with a diesel bike and shit loads to torque.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

car v bike mpg

ride your bike to a similar level of performance that you get from your car (rpm, 0-60 times, top gear roll-ons, etc). Now see which gets you more

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

2 out of 3

Well, I have a bike that does slightly better than 150 mph/40 mpg (Honda CBR600F4i), close to 120 mph/60 mpg (Honda NT700V Deauville), and 95 mpg but only 52 mph (governed) top speed (Honda NHX110 Elite/Lead). Not enough road only miles on the Yammie TW200 to tell, but expecting about 70 mph/70 mpg.

90 mph/100 mpg would take something that was fully enclosed (since even sport-bikes have poor drag coefficients).

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Lower speed limits?

So what.

Been speeding for 40 years, I still ride a sport bike (08 R1), never been caught yet.

Just a matter of picking the right time and place.

R1 forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Lower speed limits?

So what.

Been speeding for 40 years, I still ride a sport bike (08 R1), never been caught yet.

Just a matter of picking the right time and place.

R1 forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Sod the top speed

I need to get to 30mph fast. I ride in London and the ability to get up to the speed limit quickly is what matters. I've only once pushed the thing to it's speed limit and bottled out at 135mph (my limit, not the bike's) but I'd happily trade 20mph off the top speed for an extra 10mpg, but not at the cost of acceleration.

Reply to this Topic
mickgsxr

Apr 12

mickgsxr says:

Do the maths

I would opt for the 150mph / 40mpg because...

Doing 8000 miles a year on a Gixxer and a Bandit (which both average 45mpg) the difference in fuel costs between 40mpg and 100mpg is £13.50 per week, which is less than I spend on coffees in London.  OK, you could make economies and you'd still have a smile on your face commuting on a 100mpg bike but it's nice to let rip occasionally and compared to all the other costs associated with biking (the bike, the kit, the insurance, the servicing, cleaning the damn thing) it's not much of a factor, even at the rip-off prices we've got.  Plus, as the man said, you won't get your money back chopping in an existing bike to get more mpg...

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Maybe the question is wrong

Maybe for the daily trudge something reliable, economical, comfortable and that I don't have to clean - blimey thats a car!

for the weekend something fast and exciting blimey don't clean that either.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

I bought a ZX6R and it's a really great bike but I much prefer my GPZ500 for the road. I get £20 per 100 miles on the ZX6R but £20 for 250miles on the GPZ500. The ZX6R also wants to get me arrested, it needs to be going 100mph+ everywhere or the bike feels so wrong.

Reply to this Topic
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

All about acceleration

If I had a bike that could only do 120mph, but could still bang out sub 11sec quarters, then sign me up...

It's not about top speed for me, but ability to accelerate past traffic when required, and that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you accelerate faster than being dropped off something...

My CBR1100XX does 40-45mpg on a run, and I can count the number of times I have got close to it's top speed... 0! 60-120mph on UK roads is where it's at, the less time I'm in oncoming traffic the better.

As for the comment below about it "only be £13.50 per week", that's £60+ a month, £720 a year or a staggering £3600 over 5 years. I would much rather spend that £3600 on toys, bikes or projects than fuel.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices