Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

Oil is running out and the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the earth. It seems inevitable that the internal combustion engine will one day be consigned to museums, but can you see yourself on an electric bike?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Leccy bike

Not a chance, motorcycling is all about feel, noise, the connection between man and machine, you need to feel it to enjoy it.

Reply to this Topic
GixxerDream

Nov 08

GixxerDream says:

Not until

i can't afford to petrol in my bikes. No matter how good electirc bike may become it will never beat the feeling of having a real engine.

Reply to this Topic
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

if it looks like a mugen tt zero bike then maybe

Reply to this Topic
Grumpyoldtechie

Aug 11

Electric bikes

No, only because battery technology isn't advanced enough. In ten years maybe. I'm looking forward to clean, quiet, smooth bikes that accelerate ridiculously quickly.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Noise NOISE...

I need noise to survive... its hard enough getting bad drivers to know your near them with a Yoshimura non baffled can so god knows what will happen with no noise at all.  Not for me but love some of the designs.

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

bull

lot of bull electric isn't going to be the way forward pollution think of the power plants where you get the power from and government has already said it needs more stations so no chance is it or will it be a viable option it will be hydrogen fuel cells simple as that

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

bull

What bikerbit said. :) I'd like to try an electric bike, and if/when that's all that's available, that's what I'll ride. However I don't see that being the case for at least 10 years. But also as Grumpyoldtechie said, battery technology is pants for what is supposed to give you the same freedom as petrol. So until it all hyrdogen fuel cells, or totallymegaawesome batteries, I'll stick with what works.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Lord give me strength

Hydrogen is produced by cracking water using electricity.  Which in this country we currently get predominantly from coal, oil or gas fired turbines.

Actually though, cracking would be a decent application for wind and solar, since they're sod all use for reducing the burning of fossil fuels otherwise.

OK, bikes.  Well, a big consideration is that I can easily get parts for my 16 year old bike.  I doubt that holds true for a 16 month old Vectrix or any other of the stream of faddy joke-name offerings.

So essentially, electric bikes will be viable, sane purchases when Honda decides that they are, and not one moment before.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Doesn't matter

about the eco-mentalist argument. Oil is expensive to buy, charging an electric bike is cheaper. Given that the 'rate of technology' approximately doubles every 10 years these will soon be a much cheaper option for day to day commuting. 5 to 15 mile trip each way to work? I'd consider one at the right price.

Reply to this Topic
gooutgrinning

Mar 11

Too expensive

As Boult says, the rate of techological advance is going to increase with electric machines. That means that an electric bike bought today will be worthless in 5 years - unlike a 5 year old petrol bike. So who will be willing to take that hit and buy one any time soon?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices