Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

Oil is running out and the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the earth. It seems inevitable that the internal combustion engine will one day be consigned to museums, but can you see yourself on an electric bike?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

No not in 5 years time

I would consider a hybrid but no one has developed anywhere near a successful hybrid powertrain yet, give it 10 years and they will start to sell.

Purely electric only bikes have the same problem as the gwizz and the nissan leaf, unless your destination has a charge point you'll be stranded without any way of moving the machine except via a beakdown trailer.

Charge time is a big problem, it takes 5mins to fill your tank and pay for the petrol, an electric vehicle can take many hours to replenish its batteries.

Hybrid is the next logical step or a new form of liquid fuel that burns cleanly in a standard or slightly modified engine.

Reply to this Topic
Brammofan

Dec 09

Brammofan says:

Yes I can

I can see myself riding an electric motorcycle ... each time I ride past a shop window, or a chrome-plated tanker truck, etc. I own a Brammo Enertia and ride it every day to work. It's a well-designed bike with high quality components and when Brammo comes out with the Empulse in a few weeks or months, I'm seriously considering the upgrade. I don't miss the lack of noise (now I can hear what's around me, approaching from the rear, etc) or the vibration - smooth power from 0-60mph.

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

Not if but when

Electric bikes have become an 'almost' serious proposition when they were science fiction (or science comedy?) just five years ago.

No reason that an electric commuter wouldn't be a no-brainer economically in another five years, maybe less.  Before that though, I'm much more likely to get an electric dirt bike if 'silent' bike-only tracks are viable near built up areas where petrol machines would never be allowed.  

Reply to this Topic
yammy7r

Apr 09

yammy7r says:

Only if

I can put a lolly stick in the spokes to make it sound like a real bike

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Noise

Would miss the noise of a real motorbike more than anything, I understand performance isnt so much of an issue, although the extra weight of electric bikes would certainly be noticeable ! I hope they devise a sentinel type system for them like they use on the Dakar, can you imagine the increase in people knocking bikers off if they couldnt hear them coming ??!!! Its bad enough that most drivers dont see you you coming !!!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I'd rather buy a Moto Morini Rebello! Oh, hang on, maybe not. I'll take the bus instead.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Once they are able to make nice looking electric bikes that offer a range of 300+km on a charge, I'll certainly consider it! But for now it's just not practical for touring...if I only did some commuting to work though I'd probably buy one right now. I ride 20000km a year so just with the money saved on fuel the bike would pay for itself in just a few years.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not enough information.

Electric vehicles aren't the be-all-and-end-all they're being made out to be: the charge comes from (primarily) fossil-fuel power stations - so these arguements don't wash (manufacturers like to use the arguement of "no exhaust gases").

There's nowhere enough R&D been done so far - to truly say an electric vehicle is cleaner than its fossil-fuelled bretheren, you have to quantify the carbon produced over both vehicles life-cycles, from mining the metals used right through the manufacturing process, covering the same mileage over 8 / 10 /12 years, with the same riding style, work out the carbon used per charge and the distance it gives, (bear in mind power station efficiency losses, losses in power distribution lines etc), and at the end of the vehicles lifespan, both have to be disposed of; at the moment we haven't got the infrastructure to dispose of batteries / motors / control systems and the materials used.

Not only that, but electric vehicles are heavily dependent on Rare Earth motors / magnets; RE is mined in places like China and treated with chemicals and acids, and these chemicals are allowed to run on to farmland, into rivers, and potentially into the food chain - therefore, we may simply be swapping one form of pollution for another.

Put it altogether, and you may well find that the environmental case for them isn't there.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

@AdieR: That's true for many countries. Luckily here we rely on hydro-electricity so makes electric engines much cleaner.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

The difference

The difference between an electric bike and a ICE bike is the ICE carrys it's own power station to convert fossil fuel to electricity.  On an electric bike, the power station is located somewhere else and the electricity has to travel through wires to get where it's needed.  It's actually a wash when it comes to electric and ICE bikes environmentally friendly.  ICEs may even be cleaner because the batteries are smaller and have less hazardous chemicals by weight.

Also, has anyone considered how much electricity is lost in the form of heat due to resistance in the power lines from the power station?  If a station generates 10 MW of electricity, how many watts are lost in the form of heat and induction to the metal towers that suspend the wire over a 50 mile run of heavy guage wire that has resistance?  That's not as efficient as an ICE making it's own power and directly putting into the rear tire.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle