Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

Oil is running out and the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the earth. It seems inevitable that the internal combustion engine will one day be consigned to museums, but can you see yourself on an electric bike?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

NO

If I can't take a 6000 mile bike ride for a 2 week vacation, forget about it.  I'd never get anywhere, having to recharge everywhere for a couple hours at a time.  Plus, at highway speed, pushing wind, electric bikes drain very, very quickly.  Those mileage figures quoted by electric vehicle manufacturers follow a very loose testing standard...part highway at 15 mph under highway speed limits and city driving at less that 30 mph.  Far from a worst case mileage rating.  They may say 100 miles per charge, but 70-75 mph on the interstate may only get you 30 miles in reality.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Brammo bikes

Thanks to brammofan for reminding me of these bikes, I'm glad people like them

They make a good commuter with the enertia, but it has only a very short range at the moment of 42miles "average" with a recharge time of 4hours. The Enertia costs just short of 8,000 USD which equates to about £5000 @ 1 USD = 0.628 GBP.

The new empulse has various battery ranges 60 /80 /100 miles but the recharge time is 6 / 8 or 10 hours depending on the battery choice, but it does have a top speed of  over 100 mph, which is pretty good but prices start at just under 10,000 USD up to 14,000 USD.

I don't know if anyone imports them into the UK but I don't think so.

www.brammo.com/home/

In perspective compared to an Enertia, a used very low milage Honda CG125 will cost about £1,500 and return almost 100mpg uk and you can travel 280 miles on a tank. The £3,500 left over would give you over 55,000 miles of biking.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

No.

I don't think electric vehicles have enough development potential to be viable. Their range is inadequate, they're on the heavy side, charging takes too long and, as has been said, their green credentials are dubious.

I think in the future we'll be running bio-fuelled internal combustion engines. Already scientists are producing significant amounts of ethanol from microbes.

One thing we often forget is that the complex molecules in crude oil are used by chemists to synthesise all manner of useful products, from plastics to medicines. As oil becomes scarcer it seems daft to burn it.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

maybe

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Another thing no-one has mentioned is battery life, as in the batteries are knackered after a couple of years use and then you find the cost of replacement is half the price of the bike. Add that to the running costs!

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

I'd be happy to have one

I keep my bike in a garage overnight where there is power socket, I live in London so I don't need a range of more than 60 miles. However, the cost does put me off as it's just not viable. If someone came up with a good lease hire deal then I'd be well into that.

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

nice idea...

...in theory but the actual technology isn't good enough yet to even think about making it a viable proposition.  If we see it properly in 10 years I'll be amazed.

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

There are 2 issues with electric transport which are cost and range. As is shown by the cars the cost of the lithium batteries and the expensive rare earth DC motors makes these too expensive to compete with normal cars. Why would electric bikes be any different?

The range issue needs to be resolved which the lithium batteries are supposed to help by higher energy density, but to me the donkey motor providing power is still the best solution so far with a small engine running at peak torque producing electric to power DC motors which have a torque value at low rpm equivalent to tying yourself to an elephants tail and then prodding it up the arse with a sharp stick!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Forgot to say, using a donkey motor would allow the use of capacitors for energy storage which I also believe don't have the lifetime issue SatNavSteve identified.

The issue then would be regulating the current as capacitors are quite happy to supply as fast as they can discharge and this would probably be wasted as wheel spin or crashing.

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

1 Snag though

Where do you think the 'eco-tricity' comes from then?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices