Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

Oil is running out and the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the earth. It seems inevitable that the internal combustion engine will one day be consigned to museums, but can you see yourself on an electric bike?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

there just like the cars useless

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I doubt even the cars with much larger battery capacity will be viable in 10 years never mind the bikes. Here in Newcastle the foolish Council has installed charging points for cars/bikes all over the city, with 'free' electricity for the users who I have yet to see. They are nothing more than novelty second cars for the rich.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Riding bikes is about the occasion, the feeling even the smell!! ( 2 strokes )the noise.... Just fuck off with all this electric shit!! the people trying to push it all through have obviously never ridden a fast bike!! lol

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Vauxhall have the Ampera, powered by batteries that are charged by the onboard 1.4 petrol engine, no drive from this engine, it's all electric powered, or from the mains, does about 300MPG. But it is £37,000 to buy and, well, where is the soul? The passion? The smells? The noise?

Most pedestrians and drivers can't hear a normal bike let alone a silent electric thing! And who in their right mind would plug their bike/car into a public charger? Or across the footpath all night, or even for a few minutes? Some scrot will steal it or cut it just for laughs. Or someone will trip over it and sue you for hundreds of thousands!

Who the heck wants to wait half a day for it to charge up only to give you 50 miles? Pointless technology that causes more pollution to make and run than a 5 litre V8 Range Rover! Top gear proved the point in Lincoln with their electric cars, 14 hours to charge it? Hell no! Although in fairness, bringing an electric car to Lincolnshire is like taking a Hayabusa back to the 1920's!

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Not Yet

Lets ignore you starting premise that Oil is running out and fossil fuels are destroying the planet - Germany ran it's WW2 economy on Coal to Oil plants and there is plenty of coal and despite 30 years of research environmental scientists have failed to prove the man made Global warming myth. Electric Bikes though have the advantage of being clean (no oily chain) and reliable...............but they haven't solved the range issue, looked at the issue that producing those batteries is 10 times more damaging to the planet than oil exploration and final that that electricity is coming from yes you guessed it Coal, Gas and Oil Planets. Burning Oil directly in an internal combustion engine is more efficeinet and therefore more environmentally friendly....fact.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

not yet

man made global warming myth,when the twin yowers were attacked in 2001 , all aircraft flights were suspended and after a few days of this there was a marked improvement in the pollution levels , so if they used a different fuel for flying that would help a lot

Reply to this Topic
gray42

Dec 08

gray42 says:

I know the oil is running out but it is all about the noise. I am not talking loud pipes just road legal. I was talking to a courier van driver last week in Central London and he said the biggest problem was no one could hear him so he had loads of near misses with pedestrians . If any one has watched the electric race bikes live they are like fast two wheeled milk floats!! Sadly When it goes electric i think its time to call it a day

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

you have to look at it from a different view sometime, for instance petrol engines, the only thing they make sense in is bikes because they are light, but in cars they suck! Since I've driven diesel cars I wouldn't go back to petrol because anything below 2.0L is gutless!

But there is no F***ing way I'd ride a diesel bike because of the weight (iron barrels to keep the noise down) and the clatter which is ok in a car as most have lots of noise supression but on a bike!!!!!!!

But the main thing is politics. Meters in Newcastle... what makes you think they have an arrangment with Nissan the largest employer in the region? Or in London because of the mayor.

My thought is its going to happen if you like it or not, so you can either moan about it or think if theres anything in it for us!

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

bat trees

it all sounds good until you look at the battery life and how much they cost

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Range

The range problem with electric vehicles is over-emphasised in my view.  Most vehicles do a daily mileage of less than the typical range of an electric car or bike.  Of course you'll sometimes need to take a longer trip, which may rule out the electric option if it's the only vehicle you have access to, but many households have two or more vehicles.  If you consider only the second cars in 2+ car households, there's a potential market in the UK for about 5 million electric cars/bikes there, even with their short range.  The fact that we see only a very tiny fraction of that number on the roads says that range is not the main problem.

It's all about the price.  The batteries are just too expensive.  If the price was right, people would buy them.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices