Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Can you see yourself buying an electric bike in the next five years?

Oil is running out and the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the earth. It seems inevitable that the internal combustion engine will one day be consigned to museums, but can you see yourself on an electric bike?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 12:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

In a word, yes.

My current bike is a CBR1100XX and I use it for short commutes (3 miles) and for weekly 100+ mile trips for my gigs/practices as I moonlight as a musician.

The CBR is perfect for the long journeys, but less so in town. If there was free parking where I worked for cars, then I would probably drive... An electric bike with a decent 0-60 plus a 100 mile range would be ideal for me, I would use it for commuting, and the big bike for the distance work.

However, I wouldn't jump on the wagon until a recognised existing bike manufacturer with all the support structure that goes with it creates one at the right price. That price would have to be comparable to a budget 600 or the NC700 for me to actually make a saving over 3 years.

Finally, people forget that part of the beauty of an electric bike is that electric motors are highly tunable, and that a more powerful battery pack and increased voltage could lead to instant range and performance increases. Essentially, if battery technology improves you can see either after market or mainstream manufacturers offering motor or battery pack performance upgrades.

As for the noise, I love the scream of an I4 or the howl of a V4, or bellow of a big Twin, but there is nothing to stop custom noises being generated throughout the rev range... Tie Fighter anyone? :D

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Yer right about the range

Mr Andy L I'd not even considered it, my daily commute is 36miles and the average speed about 20 to 30 mph, I use an estate car because it more economical than my bikes but even that costs roughly £4.50 a day in fuel. I'll say that again if you missed it £4.50 every day!

So if for the commute I had something that had a range of say 40miles+ and cost roughly £1.30 per day (my night rate leccy is 13p/Kw and based on 10Kw of battery to charge). I'd use this to commute and set fire to the car and keep a sports bike for hooning.

My thinking is the electric vehicle is not about the enviroment, its about cheap transport which means your something for the weekend can be a bit more special!

Mind you I agree on the costs due to the fact they all have the same expensive lithium batteries and DC rare earth motors.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices