Ask an Expert Mod 2 last minute panic Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 2 last minute panic

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Mod 2 last minute panic

(Sorry for the wall of text but if you can comment anything on this it would be really helpful)
Finally got round to booking mod 2 in Lowestoft and I just need to clear up a few loose ends... the kind of loose ends that instructors are meant for and foolishly I didn't think it was worth the cost after passing my driving test there... then realising I forgot it all:doubt:

1)  Near the test centre there's a sign with "pedestrian priority". That means if there's a person who looks like they want to cross you stop and let them right? I'm guessing yes.(attached image).

2) Right at the start when leaving the bay and going on to the road, should I indicate? There's usually be a few pedestrians nearby on that road.I'd say yes if there are people then quick cancel when crossing the middle line of the road.

3)  Say there's a 3 way roundabout and 2 junctions are bumper to bumper through the roundabout. What do you do if you were in position 1 and 2? There's a real possibility this could happen and I'm not 100% on whether it's legal to queue in them.
(attached image).

4) There's a school road which might come up on the test route (if it's the same as the car one) with a b/w school crossing sign with "20's plenty" written on it. The road leading up to it is a 30 and after leaving the school area there's an "end of 20 school zone" sign with no 30 above it . There are no 20mph markings anywhere enforcing that on the road or as a sign and the 20 on the original sign is not in a circle. Cars can barely do 20 anyway because of the amount of speed bumps there are but bikes can.. So if there is an open road ahead I can go 30 through it as long as it's safe to do so? My guess would be yes but would I get failed for playing it safe?

Everything else I'm sorted and can do... just these scenarios which I need to double check so I don't do something stupid. If I don't pass there's always next time after a little training.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Attached images:

1. MCN1  
  2. mcn2  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 18:11)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Ok

here goes:
Pedestrian priority: means just that - pedestrians have priority. Therefore if there's a pedestrian there, you wait for them - all pedestrian crossings are like that (whether marked PP or not).

2) you should always indicate on a test: your examiner is "any other road user", and wants to be informed what your doing, even though he's giving you the command. (What he's looking for is to see that you can communicate your intentions to other road users without confusing them).

3) Why wouldn't it be legal to queue in traffic?? Queuing is probably safer than filtering on a test.  When you get to the roundabout, give way to the traffic on the right.

4) If its got speed humps, its a 20 zone (and for an obvious reason), therefore no you can't go 30 through it. The "end of 20 zone" is a 30 if it has street lamps, whether its signposted 30 or not.

Not trying to sound awkward or silly, but are you absolutely certain you're test-ready if you're asking questions like these?

Reply to this Topic
EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Thankyou

Thankyou for your input- There was an early booking with the test centre and I thought "take it take it take it".  I can see where you're coming from and part of me is thinking that aswell but those are the only things that I needed to know so cheers for your input!

On 3) I messed up the diagram, the blue things were meant to be at the give way points and wasn't sure whether to join the queue in the roundabout or wait it out

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

additions

The roundabout - queue but don't block off any entry roads. Just leave a gap.

AdieR - just sounds like a pre-test panic to me. I once asked my mother what side of the road we drive on.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Oh

and pass your bloody test or I'll slap yer! :smile

Reply to this Topic
EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Well if you want to know how it went...

There'll be no slapping! Passed first time, no lessons on either module, 1 fault for observation. Nothing I wrote came up on the test (safe than sorry right?) and I really think the examiner was being lenient because I messed up a lot. Did tell me I was being very self critical at the end though when I listed what I thought was wrong and assuming I failed.

Ah well, no point thinking it over; no more L plates for me!

Reply to this Topic
philwill65

Mar 11

philwill65 says:

well done

you passed and you're now 1 of us!!:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

well done .

I`m taking my MOD 1 next friday . Feeling the jitters already . Out on the bike every day swerving like a mad thing when it`s clear so i know why you were panicking .

Hey , well done for passing . You will never have to do that again buddy !! congrats !!

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Clarification

Congrat's for passing E.D, just a couple of points that weren't quite right;

The examiner is not "any other road user", in the same vein that you shouldn't wait for a gap for both of you to get out of a junction, you don't need to indicate if there's no-one around other than you & the examiner (I include pedestrians here too, they need to know what you're doing!)

Having said that you're not going to fail for indicating when there's nothing around!

Speed humps Don't automatically mean it's a 20mph zone, a 20mph sign is needed (white circular with red border). the end of this zone can be indicated by "end of 20". Wanted to point this out as there's a couple of roads round my way that Have road humps but are 30mph zones, ones on a test route too!

Hope this hasn't come across in a patronising way, it's not meant to, Happy riding one & All:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices