Skip to content

BMW Inside this week's new-look MCN: Time up for the R1200GS? R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > Inside this week's new-look MCN: Time up for the R1200GS?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Inside this week's new-look MCN: Time up for the R1200GS?

Three all-new rivals, including Triumph’s eagerly-awaited Tiger Explorer, make the adventure bike class more competitive than ever. But which is best? We took the Triumph Explorer 1200, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, Yamaha Super Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, Honda Crosstourer and BMW R1200GS up to Scotland and back to find out. Read all about the epic test...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 April 2012 11:06)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Smart test for once

Smashed up 3rd world roads, scarce fuel, incomprehensible natives who'll try and rob you blind: sounds like an ideal destination for 'adventure' bikes. ;)

Reply to this Topic
franksumner

Aug 02

franksumner says:

Back to Reality

Read the article in MCN today.  But..... you still miss the point of the buyer.  Which one would I choose if I could buy today?  The BMW of course.  Why?  It's proven over many years.  I know that it will provide what I need over the many years that I would own it.  The rivals may sound and perorm well but they have no history of longlevity and if I am going to spend £10,000+ then I want to know now that it will last.  One ride by journalists to Scotland or thousands or miles by real riders... no contest. 

Reply to this Topic
franksumner

Aug 02

franksumner says:

Back to Reality

Read the article in MCN today.  But..... you still miss the point of the buyer.  Which one would I choose if I could buy today?  The BMW of course.  Why?  It's proven over many years.  I know that it will provide what I need over the many years that I would own it.  The rivals may sound and perorm well but they have no history of longlevity and if I am going to spend £10,000+ then I want to know now that it will last.  One ride by journalists to Scotland or thousands or miles by real riders... no contest. 

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

franksumner!

Proven over many years? I know for a fact they have problems with corrosion, drive shaft bearings, fuel pumps that pack up, excessive oil consumpsion and faulty ABS on models so equipped, to the point where people junk the ABS because it costs so much to repair. And thats just faults I can think of off the top of my head, as reported to me by people who own them. If thats your idea of a proven design, its time to try another brand.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Also.......

Try the VOSA vehicle recall web page and check out R series recalls, nuff said!

Reply to this Topic
Ballsdeep

Mar 12

Ballsdeep says:

Slightly unfair comparison!

Thats a bit like saying check the VOSA site for recalls on any triumph triple!!

Reply to this Topic
pottersbar

Apr 06

pottersbar says:

I have to say the report came as a complete surprise, Triumph top bike again!!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Ballsdeep!

Why an unfair comparison, it wasn't meant to be one. Franksumner said the BMs were a proven design and I was just pointing out the fact that this 'proven design' which dates back to the 1930s in the last few years has had recalls for failed gearboxes and failing brakes. The facts speak for themselves.

Reply to this Topic
sleepy

Aug 02

sleepy says:

SatNavSteve!

"dates back to the 1930s"  you may as well say all four strokes date back to the turn of the century..!!! (where's the shakes head in despair smiley)

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sleepy!

Or should be dopey as you missed the point completely. What I was saying was that BMW have been building the boxer twin for 70 odd years and it still gives problems, I can't make it any more simpler than that! Other than Douglas ( who folded) Ural ( who appear to have just copied BMW) and Gold Wings (a flat 4 or 6, I know) who else thinks that engine configuration is a good idea?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices