Skip to content

General Did you have to persuade your partner? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Did you have to persuade your partner?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MonkeyMark

Apr 11

MonkeyMark says:

Did you have to persuade your partner?

Just wondered who out there had to persuade their partner when they first got into or wanted to start biking.

I have wanted to get into biking ever since I can remember but only now am I really in the position where I could start.
Only problem now is my wife doesn’t really like the idea. She's a nurse so has seen her fair share of bike related injuries and as such she doesn’t want to see me get hurt.
She wouldn’t stop me if I was determined, but I’m not sure I would want to do it if she was worried every time I went out.

What’s people’s thoughts or experiences on this?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 April 2012 14:29)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I

found it useful to ensure it was her idea.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

no one can really answer this

honestly.

I believe more miles under your belt through all weathers over time will give you a better knowledge of how your bike behaves under different circumstances.

i'm afraid I'm one of those fair weathered riders who only come out on warm days now. Done my commuting in snow, wind, rain and heat many moons ago cos I had to. Don't want to now. But each spring I'm very cautious of my riding as my road craft always takes time to get up to speed after a few months lay off.

I think a lot of accidents are had in the first few months of fine weather when the steed comes out for the first time, possibly no tyre pressures checked or basic maintenance done. i can't produce figures to back this up at all.

Cant quite agree with you Jawa re enduro, if anything more accidents are had, but probably fewer fatalities.  2 people in the last 2 months I know have had nasty ones doing this, one last weekend resulted in a bad collar bone break and another had been pinned and plastered for months in the accident they had, all experienced as in most weekend enduro riders this has happened to.

As for my own experience I didn't have that problem, my uncle did a few trips on the TT circuit years ago, my brother did a lot of racing and my dad rode too so it was always encouraged as a family occasion.

why not do a Ron Haslam day where you wont need a bike licence, and all the gear is available to hire.  Try before you buy sort of thing.and take the other half as well.  I think they are only half a day

Reply to this Topic
stirfry

Jan 08

stirfry says:

got to agree

with Jawa less miles= less risk. Or put it another way more miles= higher insurance and as insurance primarily reflests risk you can work it out from there (I do accept there are anomolies).

I could not afford to add communte to my insurance as the difference is £150 compared to £500.

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

riding offroad

you have an accident off road you only have yourself to blame. Usually accidents happen because people get ahead of themselves

Even if you are competing in enduro it is you versus your surroundings....

I have ridden off road since 5 years old.

But on the road you have to be 100 percent aware of others at all times.

You have to anticipate everything...

I admit that there might be more chance of dropping your machine on a green lane... however on the road a mistake like that could be fatal, rather than just a bashed exhaust, or sump or dented confidence.

Can you really suggest its more dangerous off road than on road?

Reply to this Topic
r1stevie

Oct 08

r1stevie says:

the other half

you cant of wanted to get into bikes that much mate or youd have done it by now money or not if you love bikes you find a way  i remember 40 pound yamaha 100 cc heaps of shit and putting 50 pence of fuel in to get to work the next day  so grow a pair and get one i bet you wish youd done it sooner

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Jawa

I don't agree with your hypothesis. People who commute every day ride in a different manner to those who leisure ride only. There are many roads in this country considered accident blackspots for bikes and these are almost exclusively leisure ridden roads (snake pass, Cat and Fiddle etc).

If you look at it from a mileage point of view then leisure riders of full motorcycles certainly have more accidents per mile than commuter riders on full motorcycles (look at government released accident figures and time of accidents to confirm).

This is a direct lift from a department of transport road safety report on motorcycle accidents (November 2004)

46.4% of the accidents (for which data were available) involved a rider riding for pleasure, whereas 25.4% occurred while riders were commuting and 14% occurred when the motorcycle was in use for work purposes.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

im just saying

the more miles you put in the more chance you have of being in an accident. 

If thats not the case then why are insurance premiums cheaper with the less miles you cover.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Can of worms................

Morning All, seems we've opened up a can of worms here!

Firstly Jawa, lose the attitude! "Surely even you can understand that"?  You've never met me so please don't patronise me!!!!

Now, I understand your point that if I ride less miles then I'm less likely to be in a dangerous place when an accident happens, but I firmly believe that riding every day sharpens the reactions and helps me to stay alive.  I also stand by my suggestion that the original poster is less likely to have an accident riding on the road than trying to compete in an enduro without any riding experience (I too have ridden off road since childhood and believe I know what I'm talking about).

From your previous posts I believe you are quite new to riding on the road, yet you express opinions on it with a dangerous level of conviction - perhaps time to listen to what people say, rather than blindly tell them they are wrong?

As for Insurance, I pay around £170.00 a year fully comp for a policy covering 6 modern bikes and a further £160.00 a year for a second classic policy covering around 30 older bikes.  Both are unlimited milage, and cover commuting and full business use.  They hardly seem to be penalising me for riding every day?

Ride safe,

Shad. 

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

um I dont think

it's how the OP wife worries he gets hurt , it's the fact he is hurt she's afraid of.  So be it injured by a SMIDSY or an ill placed muddy clump , the fact that he's hurt is the problem.

Track is the safest way to start off in a controlled area, then maybe CBT.

I would always question though if you have got to a certain age without one and other half has no interest in them, why do you really want one.  This is not a patronising comment, but maybe there might something that both of you could do to fulfil a gap in your leisure.

If you take the route of getting one be prepared for an earbashing each time you go out.  She came first remember, if you had one before you met then that would be her problem but you didn't and are now changing the goal posts without her blessing

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

babyblade

'I would always question though if you have got to a certain age without one...'

I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 38 but am now delighted I did.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices