Skip to content

General COLLISION WITH A CAR..YOUR VIEWS PLEASE General

You are in... Forums > General > General > COLLISION WITH A CAR..YOUR VIEWS PLEASE

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

COLLISION WITH A CAR..YOUR VIEWS PLEASE

AYE UP LADIES AND GENTS:

Firstly, I know this is a bike forum, but I trust all your views on an accident I had whilst driving my truck.

To keep it short,..whilst driving in lane 2 of a 3 lane carrigeway I indicated and manoevered my transpoter back into lane 1. At this point, a lovely E class merc tried to undertake me in lane 1, and we made contact directly under my blind spot on the LHS. He eventualy came to rest, spinning round to the front of my truck. I've never had an accident before in the truck..the police were happy and let me carry on. BUT now, I've got to go through a disaplinary through work?! nobody was hurt, but Mr car driver looks like he may get a new car. OOOOPS?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 April 2012 12:15)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Collision with a car

What are the reasons your employer wants a disciplinary hearing? Do they think you were at fault or is this just normal procedure for this type of incident?

If the police have given you the all clear and that there was no fault on your part I don't see what action your employer could take against you.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

car drivers

fault mate .... i hate people who undertake

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Well

he shouldn't have tried to undertake anyway - especially if you've indicated. You made your intended manouevre quite clear.

Again, I'm not sure of the purpose of the disciplinary or whether its normal?

Not impossible it was a "crash for cash" (ie a driver causing an accident in order to try and claim off your {or rather, your employer's} insurance).

Reply to this Topic
NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

DP

it's standard procedure mate. I've got nowt to worry about i think..I was travelling well below the speed limit, but it just hurts my pride a bit...after all those years of zero damage, this happens

THANKS

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

accidents do happen

also let your employers know about that blind spot.

Why did that car driver keep in that lane and not use the hard shoulder to get out of your way?

Reply to this Topic
RedWolf

Jan 12

RedWolf says:

Hahaha

Mister fastman in his shiney Merc clearly wasn't fast enough. Sounds like it was his fault. Merc drivers think they own the road.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Full story............

Hi mate,  please don't be offended, but we don't have the full story yet so can't comment.  The following questions are the ones your employer will be likely to ask in the hearing, so think about them and be prepared.

1.   You say that you made contact just at your blind spot - do you mean he was there as you started to pull over and so you didn't see him (suggests he was travelling at the same speed as you!) or that he was back from your blind spot, and by the time you collided he had progressed up the inside of you until you made contact (in which case you'd have been expected to see him before you pulled over, and wait until he had completed his undertake).

Also, what was the other traffic like?  Was the third lane empty?  Was the first lane empty?  Had you just finished overtaking (in which case how did he get into the first lane to try to go under you) or had you just overtaken him then he pushed his speed up?

Finally, was there a junction, was he in the first lane to exit at a junction?

Hope this helps, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but it is all too easy to fall into the trap of just agreeing blindly that someone was in the right purely because you know them (although only through a forum).

Ride safe,

Shad. 

Reply to this Topic
r1stevie

Oct 08

r1stevie says:

proff driver

im a edinburgh bus driver mate my company always does a investigation your fault or not  but they always have a final thing they always say  your a proffesional driver and you should always expect other drivers to make mistakes  you just cant win sometimes

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't know the road

(you say 3-lane carriageway, so I'm assuming a motorway) - often these types of roads are CCTV monitored (to keep traffic flowing); maybe worth contacting Highways Agency (or the authority in charge of that road) to see if they have footage?

Maybe worth looking at if he's trying to claim from insurance?

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

sorry to hear mate

your at fault mate sorry to say you went into his lane not the other way round indicate or no indicator doesnt give you the right to go any where he doesn't have to let you in he can do so if its safe to do so but that decision is his 

I agree the guy should be undertaking you its f*cking stupid but you pulled into the lane on top of him 

am just going by what you have posted but wasn't there so couldn't really say but have to say am bloody surprised it wasn't an Audi or BMW famous for doing stupid maneuvers 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices