Skip to content

Ask an Expert Need some advice please Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Need some advice please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wall1986

Apr 12

wall1986 says:

Need some advice please

Hey guys 

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little advice? I'm going to be buying a new bike in june but I'm a little unsure what to buy!

I currently own a bandit 600 which i love but i want something a little more sporty, i have been looking at the Yamaha R6 but the thing is i have a 2 weeks Europe trip coming up which means i will be on the bike for 200-300 miles every other day!

so im unsure if the R6 is the right choice? has anyone had any experience with doing long journeys on one and how is it for putting luggage on?

any advice would be great

cheers Wally

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 April 2012 15:58)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

R6

What I would say with the R6 is that is all in your body shape. If you are not tall or fat then the R6 is not a bad ride comfort wise. However if you are quite tall then you may find you need to pull over every so often for a stretch as the ride position is quite closed up. With a 2-300 mile hop every couple of days I don't think it will be much of a problem as you will be pulling in for refuels along the way. I rode my mates 02 reg R6 and was quite surprised at how comfortable it was as I am a fat bastard and used to my GSX-R1000, however I only rode it 60 miles so cant say how comfortable it would be long term.  

Reply to this Topic
wall1986

Apr 12

wall1986 says:

R6

well I'm just short of 6ft and I'm not fat (i don't think lol) 

i won't be using it for long trips all the time its just going to be every so often, i will mostly use the bandit, but as I'm wanting to buy an R6 i would want to ride it as soon as i get it haha

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

R6

Well if you are keeping the Bandit then the R6 is a fine addition. If you are going a long distance and want comfort then the Bandit is the one. If you want a sporty ride then jump on the R6. You are lucky to have the choice. I had to sell my Bandit when I got my Gixer (Missus insisted :upset:).

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Next Bike

I've done over 600 miles in a day on a VFR800 - far less extreme than an R6 but I am in my late 40's and have arthritis in both knees!  In sort, the journey you are proposing shouldn't be an issue comfort wise.  Your biggest problem is likely to be attaching your luggage.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

WAIT!

instead of an inline 4 seriously think about getting a twin.

sv650s is a twin cylinder sports bike.

To all you "sv isn't a sports bike people" im saying sports bike because its a bike that is regularly raced and has a sporty riding position.

Twins have a lot more usable power. meaning - 30-80 (mph) is great where as with something like an r6 60-120 (mph) would be great.

http://www.photosshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2009-Suzuki-SV650S-silver.jpg

Reply to this Topic
wall1986

Apr 12

wall1986 says:

R6

i did look at the SV650 as a track bike when i wanted to start racing, but at the min i haven't got the time to commit to track days etc, 

the R6 is just something that really appeals to me, i have checked the luggage issue put and there are some reasonable tail packs and tank bags you can get.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

SV650 SPORT

You should get an SV as a road bike

SV pros:
More torque
Cheaper
Cheaper insurance
Better gearing for road use
MUCH BETTER SOUND
Great handling
Slightly better seating position for long distance
Comfy seat
Givi do a few top boxes for them
There's a pillion seat not a tiny pad and a strap like the R6

SV cons:
SUSPENSION - adjust or replace the front forks
Lower HP
0-60 is 0.4 seconds more than the R6
Less gadgets and equipment

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

SV650 SPORT

Quote on the pros and cons of an R6 : 
"Pro - Bad @ss track weapon
Con - Not so bad @ss as a street bike

If I was to want a bike for tracking I would get one. If I wanted something more for riding street (and more importantly, had less experience... as it sounds is the case) I would look into an SV650."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDAlcB0r2E 

Also check out this vid -it shows the gearing and torque aspect really well and you can hear the SV pull up beside the R6 and blip the throttle :sunglasses: the engine sound is so much better.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Why

would somebody that already has a middle weight commuter want another one?

Sports bikes are fine for touring with throw overs but better with a ventura luggage system.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

the (SV) engine sound is so much better?

Cyclonite, what are you on?  All I hear in that video are death knells...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices