Skip to content

General Why is it road users bully moped riders? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Why is it road users bully moped riders?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

Why is it road users bully moped riders?

i had a moped (de restricted) on 'L' plates for 3 years and now ive done my license and got myself a bandit 600 ive noticed a massive difference in how im treated on the road, not only by car drivers but bikers aswell!

on the moped u get NO respect what so ever from other road users you get pushed about, overtaken, cut up all the time and near enough EVERY car thats at a junction pulls out on you! Whereas on the bandit ive had none of this.

If i sat at 30 in a 30 limit on the moped id be getting people overtaking me beeping horns at me flashing me sitting right up behind me. on the bandit i get none of this. road users give me plenty of space, dont try and push me about on the road and generally drive/ride as they should.

Everyone has to start somewhere and i bet most of you had mopeds as teenagers! so why is it you give moped riders no respect at all when you have been in their situation yourselves?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 April 2012 18:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

L-plates

unfortunately, can be like a red rag to a bull - especially to car drivers.

I recall when I were on L's the number of drivers overtaking on the last roundabout into town - only to get caught in traffic 1/4 mile ahead. Then you'd get the awkward tossers who'd insist on blocking you off as you go to filter past...

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

A small fish

in a big pond full of 4 wheeled piranhas i'm afraid.:upset:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Respect

It is because you have gone from a poxy moped to one of the finest machines ever to grace the road. May I (and any of the many other ex and current Bandit 600 owners) congratulate you on joining the mightiest band of brothers on earth. I am now on the far inferior GSX-R1000 but am very proud to have been a bandit owner. I do hope your machine is the naked version (the true master of the marque).   

Reply to this Topic
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

Agreed that L plates make quite a bit of difference to how others act towards you on the road. 

After I had past my test, I decided to take my 125 into work (mainly just to give it a run), but left my L plates on. First thing that happens is I almost get run off the road by someone in a sports car while doing the speed limit. 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

L plates

can also be funny... you start braking oddly and wobbling about and they give you all sorts of room.

Something I do (and used to do on Ls) is to get between a car and the bike it's hassling and slow down, giving them breathing room knowing I can piss off if it gets dodgy. They usually get a "back off" wave as well. They don't get that one slip and they've killed someone.

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

maybe

cause most of them are tracksuit wearing wankers!

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

Mopeds

never rode one myself but from what i see on my daily commute hav no respect for anyone let alone themselves...tracky bottoms, trainers and jumpers are NOT suitable protective clothing and ignoring speed limits, road etiquette and other road users isnt going to earn any respect...

I dont assume that 'all' moped/scooter riders are knobs but they do a damned fine impression of idiots... There are a couple that i see on a regular basis that i nod (geared up and nod me) and one that i always seem to follow that cars try to harass-managed to sneak between them a couple of times just so the poor lad had room to breathe...

I try and treat everyone like i'd like to be treated but just think the powers that be need to be stopping more 'inappropriately dressed' folks and show them what roadrash looks like...

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Lack of respect

The lack of respect for peds comes partly from ignorance and arrogance.  However, a lot of ped riders (I are to say the majority) show f*ck all respect for anyone else and behave like conplete idiots on the road.  Unfortuately, if you ride a similar machine you end up getting tarred with the same brush.   

Either way, you are past that now so get on with enjoying your Bandit :smile 

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Mopeds

I must say I am not a great fan of mopeds, they are just too under powered for the open road. They are fine in urban areas as the traffic is generally moving at a slower speed.

Other road users consider them a nuisence as they clog the road up and slow the traffic flow. They will always suffer prejudice, whether right or wrong its just the way it is.

When I started riding my parents offered me the chance to have a moped, I declined the offer and waited the extra year for the 125.

Reply to this Topic
Reincarnhate

Jul 11

Reincarnhate says:

I'm sure

you can appreciate that 60-80% of moped I see are being ridden badly either by middle-aged men in Parkas or by 16 year olds in tracky bottoms.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices