You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > first big bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

first big bike

hi just wondering if anyone can help, got my das booked for 18 april, ive had a one on one conversion to get used to the bigger bike on a cbf500, i found this bike easier to ride than my current cbf125, it felt more stable and planted. anyways my question is would a cb1000r be too much bike as a first big bike. i have been driving for 16 years, have covered around 4,000 miles of city riding dodging white van men, taxi's and the like. also my job is to drive heavy construction plant where the concentration levels are quite high. looking forward to hearing your opinions.

mick.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 April 2012 14:14)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Mick

Coming from a 125 straight on to a 1000cc might just be a bit too much.May i suggest you buy your self a cheap 600fx first before you jump straight on to a very powerful bike.Plus the insurance company will have a field day with ya.You will need plenty of NCB under your belt;hope this helps.....Ash.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I'm not convinced

a litre bike is a good starting point, esp if you're just coming off a 125 - the insurance will be high, and there's a good chance you'll drop it (expensive).

Part of it will be the money you have to spend (inc the insurance), and also the bike's likely use; if you do a lot of urban / city work, a 1000cc bike is likely to be hard work and clumsy. If you're commuting, think about comfort.

Have a look at Suzuki Bandit 600 / 650, SV650, Kawasaki ER5 / 6, Honda CB500 - all popular, insurable, and less liable to kill you if you make a mistake. When you're starting out, you need a machine you can get on with - not the biggest, fastest missile that you have money for. Even a basic 600 has enough power to get you into trouble when you're starting out.

Factor in the cost of a drop - anything with a fairing will make your eyes water when it hits the deck.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

first big bike

thanks guys i appreciate your views, the thing that got me thinking of the cb1000 was two biker friends of mine said id be better off going straight to a litre bike bcoz id get bored with a 600 too quickly, looking at other bikes now. thanks again guys ill let you know how i get on, if you have any ideas for a first bike id love to hear ty

mick.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Much of it

will depend on what you use the machine for.

Yes, you MAY get bored of a 600 quickly - but by doing a couple of years on a 600 you'll be in a better position to judge what you want from the next bike, and you'll be in a better position insurance-wise too.

Reply to this Topic
marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

AdieR

thanks for your input mate, my first idea was to get a 750 shiver with the changeable engine settings, in my head safer, but i let them talk me into different ideas. not really sure what to get. the cbf500 ive been on is a great little  bike fantastic mirrors not like my cbf125 where ihave to fold myself in half to see whats behind me. im comfortable with that to be fair im no speed freak, just tend to ride more on torque than power.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

In my book

CBF500 is the perfect bike for building experience and no claims, and I'm not just saying that cause I have one to flog...  I had a memorable 370 mile run down from Aviemore on my lads: it was a heck of a fun tool for the money, reliability, build quality, economy.  I got off as fresh as a daisy - all that in a friendly commuter with a low seat.

Reply to this Topic
marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

bbstrikesagain

if you dont mind me asking how much you selling your cbf for and what year is it mate?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I'm hoping

it'll fetch around £1850, 2006 ABS model, great bike but not flawless - a dent in tank and grazes on the silencer from a wind (and 18 year old's inexperience) induced topple while parked up at the Ponderosa - or did some careless SOB knock it over?

Will advertise soon but about to head off on a fortnight's business trip

Reply to this Topic
evading

Apr 12

evading says:

motorcycle

I like riding a motorcycle
<a href="http://www.ledflexlighting.com">LED module</a>

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

mod 1

hi guys, passed mod 1 today, and in the pissing down of rain, i can see how it may be difficult on a 125, but was comfortable on the 500.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices