Skip to content

Discuss This Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.” MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.”

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.”

Valentino Rossi and Ducati endured a dark night in Qatar after the Italian slumped to a dismal 10th place finish to start the new 1000cc MotoGP world championship. The nine-times world champion was a massive 33 seconds behind winner Jorge Lorenzo and at best Rossi could have only hoped for a top six finish with the new GP12 Desmosedici way off...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 April 2012 16:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Let's not forget...

Rossi stole Lorenzo's thunder by winning the last race of 2010 and making it 46 victories for Yamaha. A year and a bit later and Rossi has no wins on the Desmo. He can't have suddenly become terrible, so I attribute this (for the moment) to the bike he's riding. I believe he will win again with Ducati. But he won't win another title. Not in MotoGP at least. Why doesn't he go to Aprilia in WSB and give Biaggi one last thrashing? - now that is a plan.

Reply to this Topic
LaughingGas

Oct 08

LaughingGas says:

jahagon: You're right. Like 99% of people here I "was" prepared to write him off but according to press even he has had enough now, and about to form his own team back on Yamaha under Coca Cola. Negotiations are under way now. Where does this leave Ducati...with a VERY bad reputation and a few million quid down and a failed marketing campaign.

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Ere... Have a gander at this little nugget..

http://onestop-motogp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/rossi-this-isnt-ducati-i-wanted.html

Rossi is clearly not a happy boy eh!

Reply to this Topic
gryczon

Mar 08

gryczon says:

A mental issue - maybe, let's not forget he was somehow "in" Simoncelli accident and it can hurt in some way. For me the main issue it's now is Rossi's addicted mind and thinking (like alkoholic see the world). Leaving Ducati with resignation for all the money from this year contract Vale should get would keep it somewhere "moral and ethic" and just leave the situation without each other blame echo. Just incompatibility and it can happen as Melandri has.

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Moto GP, last one out turn off the lights

When Rossi quits, and he will, the GOAT will not stand to be humiliated like this every time out, who will ride for Ducati? They have finished all of their riders careers apart from Stoner. When Ducati quit, Honda, with their long history of buying championships, will not stand to be beaten by the only other team in the championship so they will be out leaving an all CRT field very soon. World Supers wins by default. Who will be interested in a CRT Moto GP, a round of the Honda cup and a single cylinder race?  I would rather go to a wet club race at Snetterton. 

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Maybe

Agree with alot of what you say petedj, particularly agree with the sentiments that moto gp is a championship is lacking compared to WSBK (except in technical terms). Moto 2 is really the paddocks saving grace at the moment.... However I think that Ducati are a very proud company and Rossi is a very proud rider, and I think they will both seek to try and repair some of the damage done to both of their reps after this affair. I think Rossi will still have sponsors lining up ready to throw the reddies at a private team for him with whichever one of the 2 big Jap marques will allow it. Personally I think Honda would do it, as I think JL would veto a Yamaha move, but CS would have no fears about having VR on equal machinery. Because I believe he would feel if he could beat him on the same machinery it would silence many critics and prove alot. I also think Honda would allow it as if he could win races on the H, it would justify what they said all those years ago when VR left Honda when the big H was saying the bikes are most important.... anyways if he got a Honda and couldnt win then the big H could just use it as a final slap in the face to VR on his way out !!! So everybody wins.... As for Ducati, well I think the option of a factory ride no matter how chuff it might appear would be just too tempting for a young hungry rider, and they would have the still have the self belief to think they could be the ones to turn it around, and given Ducati's last successes when they hired such a rider, it could just work out for them, then they could say see, it wasnt the bike. Both parties have more to lose by walking away than staying and trying to prove that in fact, they, were the one in the right....!

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Bloodbubble

Agreed, a coca-cola sprayed M1 or RCV would be awesome, harks back to the good old Pepsi RGV days !!!!

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

clearly jahagon has forgotton

Rossi stole Lorenzo's thunder by winning the last race of 2010

Lorenzo won the final two races of 2010, Rossi came 3rd in the last race. He attempted to steal the limelight by prancing around in a cheap yellow t-shirt with "BYE BYE BABY" printed on it, primarily so he could then flog them off for £35 each to an army of brainwashed devotees who were so enraptured with it that they forgot who actually won the race.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

A queue a mile long for a Ducati ride? Don't make me laugh. Built on racing? Well Ducati's race reputation is built mainly on WSB having what amounts to a Ducati rule. Even the organisers admitted that the original 1 litre twin rule was there just to get Ducati to join in. When it's a level playing field they have a hard time at best. They lucked out when the 800s were introduced in having the most sorted bike that first year, but thereafter demonstrated pretty clearly that they couldn't develop the bike. Stoner's performance in the 800s demonstrates that pretty clearly. Even he was struggling in the 800s on a bike supposedly developed to suit him and then when he switched to Honda he won. At the moment I would say the attraction of a Ducati ride falls below that of the best satellite teams. At least in the satellite teams you know you will be benefiting from developments made by race winners. Unless Ducati make some serious improvements this season they'll be fighting with the CRT teams for riders next year. Bear in mind that on a Honda or Yamaha satellite bike you are on a stepping stone to a full works ride with Honda or Yamaha. Do well and the factory will start favouring you with the good bits, those bits simply don't exist for Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Ducati pay Rossi so much that if he had the balls he could have paid somebody to build a new chassis for the bike for this year. Rather than relying on a factory that had already proved they weren't listening by mid season he should have been talking to the likes of FTR about a new chassis mid season last year. With his salary he could have had a bike built to suit him. Now I'm not saying it would have been a race winner, but had he taken it to the test sessions and it had turned out to be faster than the works bike I'm sure Ducati would have given him his money back simply for the chance of having a better bike. However I don't think Rossi - or any of the other whining prima donnas in modern racing would be willing to put their money where there mouth is to that extent. I recall back in 1982 when Sheene finally got his hands on the V4 (OW61 IIRC) he thought it handled like a POS (he was wrong it was just suited to Roberts) however he had the courage of his convictions and got Spondon to modify the frame to suit him. Unfortunately that particular chassis was never proved in anger. Now Sheene definitely *was* a prima donna but even then he did what he thought needed to be done to make the bike handle.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices