Skip to content

Discuss This Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.” MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.”

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Jerry Burgess: “We’re nowhere near fast enough.”

Valentino Rossi and Ducati endured a dark night in Qatar after the Italian slumped to a dismal 10th place finish to start the new 1000cc MotoGP world championship. The nine-times world champion was a massive 33 seconds behind winner Jorge Lorenzo and at best Rossi could have only hoped for a top six finish with the new GP12 Desmosedici way off...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 April 2012 16:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

"He has not managed to ride the Ducati which he was happy to say he would blow Stoner and co off into the weeds with". "Maybe its time for all to recognise that the problem is the rider now" Derek can you provide a link to show Rossi's comments that you have given above. Also Rossi is not the problem. Neither was Stoner when he was complaining about the either. If your following, the problem rests with the delivery of the power, which is too aggressive and causing under steer issues amongst others. I suspect your full of shit. Prove me wrong

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

Derek

"He has not managed to ride the Ducati which he was happy to say he would blow Stoner and co off into the weeds with". "Maybe its time for all to recognise that the problem is the rider now" Derek can you provide a link to show Rossi's comments that you have given above. Also Rossi is not the problem. Neither was Stoner when he was complaining about the ducati. If your following, the problem rests with the delivery of the power, which is too aggressive and causing under steer issues amongst others. I suspect your full of shit. Prove me wrong

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Is that the right headline?

Seems that Burgess gave an interview to Steve Parish at the weekend and it seems that he is saying that Rossi 'knows that perhaps he isn't as fast as Lorenzo and Stoner'.

Rossi on the other hand has also been pretty vocal since his woeful weekend, is still confident that he can still perform (understandable, wouldn't expect anything different but I suspect his confidence may have taken a hefty battering in reality) and been lashing out at Ducati, squarely blaming the bike, not himself.
And for the bike's problems he is very clear who he thinks is at fault.

"It's very clear who makes our bike: [Filippo] Preziosi is the boss and the thinking brain behind everything. It's up to him to help us. (blames understeer) The incredible thing is that this characteristic is similar to all the Ducatis I've ridden since 2010: whether it's the version with no chassis, or the one with the carbon-fibre front, of the one with the aluminium front, or the one with the full chassis... it doesn't ever change, that's incredible".

Asked about his future at Ducati he said: "he had hoped to stay with Ducati for two more years, but said his current form puts that ambition into question. Then there was the more forceful "Ducati didn't follow the direction that I indicated, but I'm not an engineer and I can't solve every problem. The problems with the bike haven't changed, and neither have my requests. It's unrideable, and it doesn't make much difference what track we are on"

All very different from the Sepang 1 test: “I’m happy because first impressions are important, and already in the first few laps, I could tell that I like the bike. Ducati did a good job in a just a short time. The bike is beautiful, but more importantly, it’s nice to ride. The riding position has improved a lot, and it’s better on braking and corner entry. I can brake like I want to and take the lines that I like, and I feel comfortable in general. I was able to ride well and not make mistakes, and there’s a reason for that. It means that the bike can be ridden. It’s more agile in change of direction, and it wheelies much less.”

There is so much contradiction in what he is reporting now. Both Barbera and Hayden are sounding upbeat about the future prospects of the bike (could be PR of course) and Abraham reckons he was on course for a potential 6th if the brake issue hadn't put him out. Throw in the other rumours doing the rounds about a Coca Cola tie up next year (or earlier) and it looks as though this Italian dream-team is facing meltdown.

Preziosi being publicly accused of an engineering failure as the reason for the poor performance of what looks like an under-performing rider who was only 3rd Ducati home, possibly won’t sit well in the boardroom…

What a rod he has made for himself. He mentions ego in one of his interviews. You can only think if he had kept his in check at either Honda or Yamaha, he could have added even more statistics to his impressive list. Now it seems, that there could be very little in the way of open doors come 2013, as he is not handling this situation very well at all

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Is that the right headline?

Seems that Burgess gave an interview to Steve Parish at the weekend and it seems that he is saying that Rossi 'knows that perhaps he isn't as fast as Lorenzo and Stoner'.

Rossi on the other hand has also been pretty vocal since his woeful weekend,

"It's very clear who makes our bike: [Filippo] Preziosi is the boss and the thinking brain behind everything. It's up to him to help us. (blames understeer) The incredible thing is that this characteristic is similar to all the Ducatis I've ridden since 2010: whether it's the version with no chassis, or the one with the carbon-fibre front, of the one with the aluminium front, or the one with the full chassis... it doesn't ever change, that's incredible".

Asked about his future at Ducati he said: "he had hoped to stay with Ducati for two more years, but said his current form puts that ambition into question". Then there was the more forceful "Ducati didn't follow the direction that I indicated, but I'm not an engineer and I can't solve every problem. The problems with the bike haven't changed, and neither have my requests. It's unrideable, and it doesn't make much difference what track we are on"

All very different from the Sepang 1 test:  “I’m happy because first impressions are important, and already in the first few laps, I could tell that I like the bike. Ducati did a good job in a just a short time. The bike is beautiful, but more importantly, it’s nice to ride. The riding position has improved a lot, and it’s better on braking and corner entry. I can brake like I want to and take the lines that I like, and I feel comfortable in general. I was able to ride well and not make mistakes, and there’s a reason for that. It means that the bike can be ridden. It’s more agile in change of direction, and it wheelies much less.”

There is so much contradiction in what he is reporting now. Both Barbera and Hayden are sounding upbeat about the future prospects of the bike (could be PR of course) and Abraham reckons he was on course for a potential 6th if the brake issue hadn't put him out. Throw in the other rumours doing the rounds about a Coca Cola tie up next year (or earlier) and it looks as though this Italian dream-team is facing meltdown.

Preziosi being publicly accused of an engineering failure as the reason for the poor performance of what looks like an under-performing rider who was only 3rd Ducati home, possibly won’t sit well in the boardroom…

What a rod he has made for himself. He mentions ego in one of his interviews. You can only think if he had kept his in check at either Honda or Yamaha, he could have added even more statistics to his impressive list. Now it seems, that there could be very little in the way of open doors come 2013, as he is not handling this situation very well at all

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

@bulto

Yep you're right. http://www.crash.net/world+supersport/news/178112/1/sstk_positive_debut_for_new_ducati_panigale.html curtains for a gracious exit for rossi to wsbk. I see 3 possibilities. 1. They find the time from somewhere (in rossi's head maybe) and he becomes competitive on the ducamaha. 2. He parts way graciously mid way through the season, pulls his head together and comes back in 2013 on a shiny new cocacola liveried satellite yamaha. 3. There's a season of acrimonious slagging off ducati in the press and to rub salt in ducati's wounds he goes to rival italians Aprillia to develop their factory moto gp entry. Even as a fan I've got a feeling 3 is more likely...

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Funny

We were both following up that thought at the same time...

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

i nearly retired

The man himself knows it's game over,heart and mind is the most important factor at this point ,I respect his record ,but i will respect him more for knowing when its game over,you cannot knock his record.but his head has gone,the machine has problems he cannot solve but it's faster than Rossi,fact

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Yeah Zog

Was working on my own bike and had got as far as I could, came in, got bored with TV and came across the Parish bit whilst looking for something else, which then led to the other stuff.

Whilst I'm not in the slightest bit a fan of his, I really am bewildered by what is going on. Is he really incapable of wringing it's neck and getting more out of it than Hayden. Hayden seems to be back to the level he was in 2010 with Stoner, averaging around 6th in qualifying over the season but on a few occassions putting it in front of Stoner on the grid. WTF is Rossi doing back there. Is it the petulant schoolboy act of if you don't give me exactly what I want (what he had in Sepang 1...) I'm going to screw every race?

Whilst I accept that Rossi is incredibly quick on the right bike, I never bought into the whole myth thing and his own comments in my previous post should dispel once and for all any lingering notions that he and Burgess turn bikes into winners. However, I'd never imagined that he was as one dimensional as he appears to be now in terms of riding style. He appears to have one way and one way only, if the bike doesn't allow it he's sunk.

Quite how Ducati boardroom brass have reacted to him effectively throwing in the towel in Qatar after only a few laps, we can only imagine, but that public admission, coupled with the public blaming of Preziosi and everyone and everything but himself for the lack of results will not be appreciated.

Inevitably he was asked about Stoner's time at Ducati (which must really be like having the dentist's drill without the freezing needle...) He said:

"He [Stoner] has a very peculiar riding style and he was also young in 2007, so it was easier for him to adapt to Ducati," Rossi explained. "He evolved with Ducati, so he should thank Ducati because if he has learned to ride in the way he rides today it's because he grew up with this bike, which if you don't ride it in that particular way you are screwed."

I think he is forgetting that Stoner won on it immediately, he didn't evolve/adapt as such, he just did it and rode it the way he had to. Capirossi was the rider who evolved with it and it didn’t do him any good. As for thanking Ducati, I think he has got that the wrong way around…

I guess though, that Stoner can thank Rossi in a perverse kind of way, as Rossi’s time on the Ducati has certainly redressed the balance of opinion of Stoner’s time on the bike and his ability to ride it…

As for Rossi to Aprilia. Hmm, doubt it as they have Max and he is their current darling. How ironic if he was able to say No way, he's not coming here...

Actually, Rossi very nealy pulled off an impression of Biaggi after the race when he rode into his garage, I thought he was just going to let the bike drop when he got off it, it was such a quick dismount... Bit like when Max dropped the Honda on the garage floor and burned his own Honda bridge

Notice how he doesn't crave the cameras at the moment too?

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Matt Birt

What is Casey Stoner saying about Rossi's Qatar capiltulation on the Duke?

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

Next week Audi will buy Ducati

Well rumour has it on a lot of  websites that Audi will take on Ducati next week...apparently the deal is as good as done. I just hope for gods sake that it will not end their motogp campaign.

BUT judging by Audis passion for racing (le mans, various gt series, dtm) i dont think they will close it down. fingers crossed

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices