Skip to content

General Mobile Broadband question. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Mobile Broadband question.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Mobile Broadband question.

I'm getting tired of paying BT for "up to 8Mb" Broadband whilst getting on average less than 2Mb and suffering frequent drop-outs. The home phone gets used more frequently by cold callers than by me.

Apparently a mobile Broadband dongle for the laptop would cost significantly less than I'm paying BT.

My mobile phone gets a signal in the house, so what do you think? Do mobile Broadband dongles work, and is there any reason not to cancel the land line?

(Sorry, not bike related!)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 April 2012 18:57)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Thanks BrandsR6,

The Three website suggests I'm on the edge of their mobile broadband service so it's a bit uncertain. However I'd been looking at a Virgin Mobile offer similar to the Three offer you posted. A friend's smart phone on Virgin gets internet here so I might try their 2-month contract. I'd prefer PAYG because Virgin will roll the contract unless you specifically tell them to stop, and I'm a suspicious bastard! Also they cancel unused credit instead of rolling it. I can cancel within 14 days so I should have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

James

Have you tried the BT Speedchecker Site (just Google it)

It will run a test and tell you what you should be getting, based upon the condition of your line and distance from the local DSLAM.

I am about 4Km from the local exchange so only get about 2 - 3Mb on average but still sufficient for watching Iplayer etc

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Just

nip to McDonalds, there wi-fi is spot on and free!

Reply to this Topic
thehoss

Dec 10

thehoss says:

Three bband

I thoroughly recommend Three, as long as you dont have to deal with their appalling customer service.

I've got one of their mobile wifi dongles and am watching the moto gp repeat in a travelodge getting over 3mbps. This will depend on location obvs but I travel a lot with work and rarely struggle to get online

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Hoss,

Hey thanks, I'd have expected Travelodge to offer free Wi-Fi (like McDonalds!) but I've checked and no, they charge.

Anyhow, I've ordered a dongle on a 2-month contract from Virgin. It'll be here on Saturday and if it's crap I've 14 days to cancel the deal. I've read that the internet service providers have upped their mobile broadband service recently, possibly recognising that phone-line connections can't cope.

Wouldn't you know it though, this evening my connection is better! I wonder if BT have registered my frequent connection speed checks (including those suggested by Obewan, cheers!) and flicked a switch in response? I'll let you know how I get on with mobile broadband but it's a quarter of the price of my current phone line broadband.

Reply to this Topic
thehoss

Dec 10

thehoss says:

free wifi

would be nice! Rather than £5 for an hour ish like they charge:blink:

Reply to this Topic
bcamsell

Apr 03

bcamsell says:

Report it to your service provider, its no good complaining on here, you dont pay your money to us. There could be a fault, especially if your loosing sync, which could need sorting out. If you live in a rural area, yeah your line could be pretty long but it also increases the chance of a service effecting line fault. If you are out of contract with bt, you could try changing service provider, if there is a fault with bt's adsl equipment changing to another service provider's will eliminate the problem. I work with telecoms and no one has ever said to me 'yeah those mobile dongles are ggggggggggggggreat!', they all say they are shite, but you might get along with it no problem.

Reply to this Topic
Mannakin

Sep 10

Mannakin says:

BT vs dongle

Ultimately changing ISP isn't likely to get you any improvement as it is the same copper cable and regardless who you choose as ISP, they will be leasing the connection from BT Wholesale. BT the ISP have to buy from BT Wholesale.

The limiting factor is pretty much always the quality of the connection between you and the exchange.

Dongles can be ok if you are near a good signal, but aren't great most of the time.

Virgin cable is the only connection I would consider now. I'm currently on 50mb connection (always get 45-55 even during peak times) and Virgin are doing a free upgrade to 100mb soon. I moved house recently and a Virgin cable connection was one of my "must haves"!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Mobile Broadband question.

Well I have to say here's not much difference between the Virgin mobile broadband dongle and BT's cable broadband, which is surprising because I expected mobile to be worse. In fairness, when I made the first post it was Easter Monday so maybe there was alot of traffic on the BT cable, emphasising the problem, but that certainly wasn't the first time it's struggled to cope. When the BT service has failed I've successfully switched to mobile. I'm now torn. I think I'll see out the Virgin mobile 2-month contract, judge often I use it (including trips away from home) and then decide. Thanks for your views.

Reply to this Topic
kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

Dongle

I have to say that my own experience with my dongle is pretty good. In fact no complaints at all.

As for the land time I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it very soon. If it wasn't for cold callers it would never ring at all. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices