Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

SV650S

Hi All,

I'm looking for my first bike for when I pass my MOD 2 (end of this month hopefully!).

I've been looking at Suzuki SV650S' after a colleague suggested it and was after some opinions... I'm tall (6' 4) and have a 40 mile commute on A roads that I'll be using it for mainly. Needs to be economical to run and not a bomb to insure - and I'm looking to spend £2 - £2.5 K.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Cheers!

James

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 April 2012 19:49)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

SV650

I would imagine that the SV650 would be ideal.  As would a 600 bandit, or Fazer 600 if you want to consider a couple oof alternatives. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Other alternatives

Honda CB500 or Kawasaki ER6 (if you find the ER6 cramped, have a look at the Versys, which is slightly taller with ER6 mechanicals). ER6 is about as fuel efficient as it's possible to get for a bike that size, and it might be cheaper to insure than the SV.

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

SV650S

Thanks Guys :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Just as

a point of interest, my local bike shop had an 07 plate ER6n in, marked up at £3k; a wad of cash and / or decent haggling would probably get you it for £2500-£2700, a similar bike privately you'd probably get for £2k-ish. Buying from a dealer, however, gives you a point of contact in the event of a problem.

A look through the classifieds on here or something like Bike Trader will give you an estimate of prices, and a look at your local dealers showrooms will do no harm either; prices will start creeping up shortly as people start buying again...

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

SV650

Plenty of smiles per gallon, a bike to grow with, and a full stainless exhaust system - no grotty mild steel collectors here.  At 40 miles a day keep an eye on front wheel bearing seals and spacers, and don't jet wash.  Do ACF50 and/or FS365.

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

SV650

Thanks BB, good to know!

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

SV650S

Just buy it - had a 2007 one myself as my first big bike and I still miss it.  Others mentioned are also good buys (bandit, er6n) but they're naked, and doing a 40 mile commute, the fairing on the SV650S does a good job of keeping the wind off you.  I'm running a GSR600 at the moment and was using it for a similar commute myself, and boy o boy did I wish I had a nose fairing and windscreen again after a couple of weeks :)

SV650S - Excellent first bike and excellent fun even for experienced riders :)

Reply to this Topic
Mac11

Apr 12

Mac11 says:

I love the SV

Go for it! ive had bigger bikes through my life but never had as much fun than on my 04 SV650S A bike that will grow with you. Cheap to buy, run, and insure. i used to go the full lenth of the country and it wasnt to bad. As far as you being 6 4" with legs that long putting your knee down would be a piece of cake lol

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

the SV650S does feel tiny when you are on it ( i am 5,8) but it is a good little bike...

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

nice...

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm off to look at one tomorrow ('02, 8000 miles, £2k)...wondering if I go armed with a large pile of cash I'll be able to knock a bit off the price...what are the thoughts?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices