Skip to content

Ask an Expert New biker so what bike limit? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > New biker so what bike limit?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Martylaa

Apr 12

Martylaa says:

New biker so what bike limit?

Hi all, i have never ridden a motorbike before, but i am now finding the urge to do so, so i am booking my CBT for next week.

Question is i want to get into bikes as i do enjoy listening to workmates about being out on the bike, nothing fast and silly but just days out somewhere for a ride.

When i do my CBT and go onto do my official test, then once that is out of the way i would look to spend around £2000 - £2500 on a bike. My question is would something like a R6 or GSXR600 be too much for me to handle?

Do most people work up from 125cc up to say 600cc over time?

Martylaa

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 April 2012 12:15)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

125 to 600

The step up from 125 to 600 is not a problem in itself.  However, the two bikes you have listed are full-on sports bikes.  Not only are you going to have a problem getting insured but, due to the natures of these bikes, these machines are not the best for developing skills in the early days of your riding career.  

Look for something like a 600 Bandit, Hornet of Fazer, or maybe even an SV650.  These are more insurance-friendly.  They are also a better platform on which to develop your skills but have enough capability to keep you amused for a few years.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't know your age

but if you're under 21, you'll have a 2-year 33bhp restriction.

As for the GSXR600 / R6 for starting out, I'd advise against it as well because

a) insurance will be sky-high (assuming you can get it),

b) you'll almost certainly drop it at some point, and a faired bike will make you cry with the cost of putting it right (replacing the damaged plastics is expensive).

c) high pegs and low bars can get to be bloody uncomfortable over distance.

d) high-performance bikes like the GSXR / R6 frequently to get a hard life; they may often be "low-mileage", but there's a good chance that it'll have been hammered for those miles. In addition, they may well have done there fair share of wheelies etc which can be hard on forks, head bearings, chains and sprockets. £2k / £2.5k is unlikely to get you the cream of the crop here.

e) these bikes tend to be highly strung, and any slight error can have the machine tying itself in a knot that you can't get out of.

Have a look at those bikes that MM suggests, also the Honda CB500 or Kawasaki ER5 / 6 (your budget should get you an early ER6 if you look; my local bike shop had an 07 plate ER6n at £3k, if you pay cash and / or haggle, you'd probably get it for £2500-£2700).

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

and

High pegs and low bars are comfy for some, but don't give you a very heads up position.  Not ideal for starting out or gaining experience as it can make folk lazy about observation - shoulder checks tricky, mirrors half full of elboes, head low enough not to see over / through the vehicle in front.

Much better to serve your time learning road craft on a more sensible bike - then if sports is your thing you might persevere with some of your good habits

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle