Skip to content

HONDA Honda Fireblade outsells BMW R1200GS in March CBR1000RR FIREBLADE

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CBR1000RR FIREBLADE > Honda Fireblade outsells BMW R1200GS in March

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Honda Fireblade outsells BMW R1200GS in March

Honda’s CBR1000RR Fireblade was the best selling motorcycle in March as dealers shifted 272 from showroom floors. 2012 Honda Fireblades for sale. Running it a close second was the BMW R1200GS, which sold 229 units, with the Honda CBR600F third placed with 135 sold. What’s the real story? While the updated 2012 Fireblade certainly contributed to these figures from the Motorcycle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 April 2012 13:41)

Post a message in CBR1000RR FIREBLADE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hodge1

May 04

Hodge1 says:

@ RawDawg - Really?

I'm pretty sure that Honda "wanted" to win the Moto GP riders championship, but they didn't did they?  I'm also sure that they "wanted" to win the WSB titles in 1998, 1999, 2001 etc (all with Castrol team by the way...) but they didn't - saying that they could "win if they wanted to" is just mental!  The Moto GP bike also has nothing to do with the fireblade so Moto GP success in 2011 has no relevance to the blade whatsoever.

As for the road bike comments, I totally agree.  Why do people think that race success = great road bike?  The two things are totally separate and the current blade is a fantastic road bike.  It's the only 1000cc bike I will consider buying purely because of the lack of pointless traction control, anti-wheelie etc.  The current blade is a brilliant road bike, just like Honda's original idea for the Fireblade...

Reply to this Topic
Momo1970

Jul 11

Momo1970 says:

As for the blade not winning mc magazine compro tests.... In most cases the blade is fraction of seconds behind the leading bikes, and that is by the hands of ex racers, not your average Joe. There are few tests where the least experience riders actually prefer the blade over the other bikes. Mosts of the tests are on race tracks as those bikes lost any connection to street usage. If you are riding 1000 cc please let me know when was the last time you rode with full throttle on public roads for over 2 seconds (unless you riding on straight line autobahn in Germany). Honda knows what they are doing this why the blade is at the top of the sales chart and not the BMW, or Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
MartinZ

Sep 11

MartinZ says:

engine rebuilds every 40 thousand miles

The engines in Fireblades burn extreme amounts of oil, typically 1 litre per thousand miles or even more. The effect of the oil burning is carbon deposits on exhaust valves, valves not closing completely, not cooling and burning. This can happen earlier than 40 thousand miles but that was the mileage when the top end of the engine in my Fireblade was rebuild. Honda UK claim this is normal wear hence be ready to rebuild the engines at your cost regularly.

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

@RawDawg

Woah - didn't expect that backlash to my comment.  At no point did I say that the bike was bad - just that its become a (excellent) road focused machine, which has been clearly to its detriment on track which I find disappointing.

As for the comment that the original Fireblade wasn't a bored out 750 race bike - it clearly was.  It started life as the CBR750RR project, which was aborted as Honda decided the V4 RVF was the way forward for racing - if you look at the pictures of the 750 bike, you can easily see the similarities in the chassis between it and the original Fireblade.

I understand your slant on it providing a balance of power and handling - but remember at the time the Fireblade was the probably the most extreme production bike in existance - the handling of a 750 (with debatably even more track focused steering with its 16 inch front wheel), with significantly more power and torque - a real game changer.  Granted, the YZF1000 and GSXR1100 - even the CBR1000F - of the time may have had more power still, but in comparison their weight made them more like sports tourers than sportsbikes.

Surely I can't be the only one who was a bit disappointed at the unvieling of the 2012 model?  To my mind the spirit of what a Fireblade should be is about making the best sportsbike Honda can and I really doubt that the 2012 bike epitomises this.

Reply to this Topic
fatbloke63

Apr 12

fatbloke63 says:

Hodge1 you idiot!

No you try reading it again, as i said Honda know what their doing. I take it one's a bit thick too!

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

A good rider on a Blade is going to show the way around a track or favorite road than a less than rider on something else. If the Blade fits and works well then who truly can complain about that. I don't have the need or want to have the latest and greatest in my garage. I'd much rather have the Honda, with dealers everywhere, than something where I have to make a road trip to. The Blade is more than enough bike, extremely competent and if one can get them at a relative bargain to some others then I feel better about the purchase.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

fatbloke63 can't spell

before calling Hodge 1 an idiot learn how to spell "they're".

Reply to this Topic
pporfirio

May 09

pporfirio says:

Really....

I have bikes because they are a thrill..... as simple as that. I love riding them, and they need to tick. Hondas do not tick for me. They might be practical, but if I wanted practical I would buy a Fiesta. Panigale is the name of the game. Sorry.....

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

sack1

All fair points, but all could also be used as an argument for a CBR600 v any litre bike.  I guess I am alone in my opinion that the Fireblade should really push performance boundaries - oh well, c'est la vie!

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

Simple fact that the CBR is the easiest to ride and you'll post your fastest time round a track every time on the CBR if you were doing one lap runs. It's popular for that reason, it's just such a great bike and even with all the new BMW stuff, it'll still beat it round a track for 99.9% of users. People like to slag bikes off on this site but fact is most of them aren't getting 50% out of their bike, just snobs who know fuck all. I myself would choose a 600cc round a track, I feel like it handles better and I'm more comfortable with the speed and still beating peoples times on a 1000cc. Though on the roads I find sports bikes to be so horrible, they just feel so sluggish. Triumph Street Triple is just amazing on the street, just has so much low and mid ranged power that you'll want to wheelie from 1st to 5th.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices