Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be?

There are currently more cars on the road in the UK than there have ever been, but does that mean the standard of driving has improved or declined? Vote in the poll, and don't forget to let us know your thoughts and experiences with the best and worst drivers. The best comments will be published in MCN.   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 April 2012 09:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

pixieonline

Bigest problem is that too many drivers, if retested, would PASS as they would drive to pass then revert to normal after.

Now if examiners followered a car driver making a video & adding their comments to it & had the power to enforce additional training if the driver 'failed' (under normal test marking) and/or retest the the 'pass' rate would be a lot less.

I often follow cars & if they drove the same way in a test the would fail within 10mins.

Reply to this Topic
gnasher328

Jun 06

gnasher328 says:

Poxy Phones

In nearly every piece of dodgy driving I have seen the driver has a phone stuck to their ear. It should have the same penalties as drunk driving. Re the expensive German cars - that also seems true. I have to take my hat off to the boy racers though, they are the most likely to quickly move out of the way. Gnasher

Reply to this Topic
kiwi2be

Apr 12

kiwi2be says:

Bikers make better car drivers

I have only been a biker for 3 years but since my very first experience on a bike (on the CBT), I can honestly say it has made me a much better car driver.  I am now very aware of bikers around me, my actions around them and what they are likely to do next (rather than them thinking about what the car drivers going to do next)!  I think the driving test should definately have more bike related issues, training and awareness.  It would also be very beneficial for people to have some bike experience, even if it was just taking a CBT.  That way they can see it from both perspectives and may appreciate just how much more vulnerable you are on a bike.  Of course this all takes more time and money, so it would never get passed as standard practice or law.....but can you really put a price on something which may save lives??  

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Dunno

But what I do know is that drivers are very slow now, so slow in built up areas that I don't know why they aren't riding bicycles!

Reply to this Topic
mcleanie

Jun 04

mcleanie says:

Yes

Car drivers are getting worse. It doesn't help that the government are actually assisting in this as well as the car manufacturers. Cars get more and more like armchairs and more distracting each year. Along with all the illegal and uninsured drivers on the road in increasing numbers. What chance do we have.

We need all drivers to spend 1 year on a moped/scooter before they are allowed to take there car test. The same restrictions on power that applies to motocyclists to apply to car drivers.  If we have parrity then we have more of a chance to survive on the road.

yes statistically we are the greatest casualties on the road. We realise this risk and most of us take great care to minimise those risks.

We need the other road users to take the same care.

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

car drivers

im a biker and a car driver yesterday while out driving not 4 mins from my home i counted 5 drivers on the mobile within a mile ITS GETTING WORSE 75/PCENT OF ROAD USERS HATE IT  CMON THE POWERS THAT MAKE LAWS DOUBLE THE FINE EVERY TIME CAUGHT AND ADD AN EXTRA POINTIF THERE ARE KIDS IN THE CAR  A MONTHS BAN INSTANTLY.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Unenforceable

Raising fines on mobiles? C'mon when was the last time you saw a traffic cop with anyone pulled over? I hardly ever see police on my journeys and when I do the standard of driving from your average bobby seems as bad as the rest of them. The fine could be three times as much but if people don't believe they'll get caught then they'll carry on. Questions on the driving test will only get new drivers. What about all those that have already passed? If statistics are to be believed then there are thousands of uninsured drivers out there but again, there's nobody to enforce it. On the roads you can't rely on the law. I think that if you want change then the government needs to provide significant funding for dedicated traffic police to bring it up to a point where it's not unusual to see them about, ring-fenced so they can't spend it on something else.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Distraction

So many more distractions for car drivers these days, mobile, satnav, ipod etc.  Something else I've noticed recently is pedestrians. How many people have had a pedestrian plugged into an ipod step straight off the pavement into the road without looking? I see this a lot.

Reply to this Topic
rog5150

Jun 09

rog5150 says:

Get used to it!

kl595 gets its right, more cars equals percentage wise more idiots, personally I never have a problem unless I'm 'making progress' which is every ride then. I'm taking the mick so I can't really complain when others do the same in different ways?

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Over the past 6 months.....

I was off the road from Sept '11 until a couple of weeks ago.

Drivers were sketchy at the best of times, but now they are just plain stupid. Some of the things they do are rediculous and bloody dangerous.

I'm not surprised considering the level of common sense within the general public is in a state of free fall......

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices