Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are car drivers better or worse than they used to be?

There are currently more cars on the road in the UK than there have ever been, but does that mean the standard of driving has improved or declined? Vote in the poll, and don't forget to let us know your thoughts and experiences with the best and worst drivers. The best comments will be published in MCN.   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 April 2012 09:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BanditSpectre

Aug 10

Another question...

Just to see what others think how about a poll on....

Can AUDI drivers go LESS than 90mph on a motorway?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

BanditSpectre raises some valid issues, but realistically, traffic policing is going to decline all the time speed cameras, ANPR etc exist. The will and desire to improve matters on the road will only come about if, as a nation, our casualty rates increase beyond limits imposed by Brussels. The latest fashion in enforcement seems to be the referral of poor driving / riding to "awareness courses". This is because the revenue generated by such courses goes into local authority coffers, unlike fixed penalty notices which go direct to the government.  Blimey, it's all very complicated.....

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

BanditSpectre raises some valid issues, but realistically, traffic policing is going to decline all the time speed cameras, ANPR etc exist. The will and desire to improve matters on the road will only come about if, as a nation, our casualty rates increase beyond limits imposed by Brussels. The latest fashion in enforcement seems to be the referral of poor driving / riding to "awareness courses". This is because the revenue generated by such courses goes into local authority coffers, unlike fixed penalty notices which go direct to the government.  Blimey, it's all very complicated.....

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

not racist

The last driver to pull out in front of me was a muslim woman dressed like a letter box. How the f***ing hell are they supposed to see sideways dressed in that ridiculous outfit? If you complain the left wing nut jobs call you a racist!!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Undertaking...

Is proper lane discipline enforced in the UK? Here in the US it is not, and some states even say it is fine to drive in the inside lane and not yield to faster traffic from behind! : (

So the motorcyclist is forced into the unpleasant choice of undertaking, or being part of a rolling chicane and/or having motons (motorist plus moron) following at less than a car length behind. When I encounter someone blocking the passing lane, I find a place where I can move over onto a paved shoulder if they decide to change lanes, than get by the moton as quickly as possible (one reason why having at least 40-hp at the rear wheel is necessary for safe motorway riding).

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Dents...

Dents in a car do not prove anything. My Honda Civic is all dented up, but that is from ar$eholes running into it while parked and not leaving insurance information (illegal, but common in Chicago where I used to live).

Reply to this Topic
sovrec

Sep 11

sovrec says:

Piroflip / not racist

...seems easy to use the debate to focus on a racist jibe - why not focus on people who multi- task whilst driving ( hair & make up / smoking / mobile phone / chatting ) or people who shouldn't be behind a wheel ( drunk / medicated / ill / can't see properly) and those who are just plain aggressive and idiotic ( speeders / tailgaters etc) ....Those who don't know the highway code and those who have no regard for other members of the public ....riding fast and safe is possible but in the right place and time ...but even then you have to watch for the 'car driver' ( and lorries / tractors / cyclists) how many of us drive cars and what from the above applies to us whether on 2 or 4 wheels....!

Reply to this Topic
cbxade

Mar 06

cbxade says:

Indicating

Do any car/van drivers indicate any more,especially when turning right ? Its getting to the point where i actually want to pull out in front of a non indicating wanker.

My last bad experience was a car waiting to turn right to cross in front of me as i had right of way. He waited alright,until i got to close to stop and then across he came and over the bonnet i went. And 20 mph was too fast...right  Grrr!!!

Reply to this Topic
NeiljohnUK

Oct 09

NeiljohnUK says:

Your missing something...

Piroflip "not racist The last driver to pull out in front of me was a muslim woman dressed like a letter box. How the f***ing hell are they supposed to see sideways dressed in that ridiculous outfit? If you complain the left wing nut jobs call you a racist!!" No, an observation. I'll make another, a good muslim believe's 'they' cannot make a mistake, if they kill you, or are themselves killed, it is the will of allah, so not looking, not waiting etc are all covered, SMIDSY doesn't apply!

Reply to this Topic
vetoevo

Jul 03

vetoevo says:

Are motorcyclists better or worse than they used to be?

Here’s a thought for you all…..If car drivers have got worse, that must include motorcyclists who also drive a car. So, why do we, as motorcyclists, think we’re different people in a car than when we’re on a bike? Why is that car drivers are – it seems – ALWAYS the guys who get it wrong and motorcyclists never make a mistake. In my 40 years of motorcycling I’ve seen some truly terrible motorcycling yet it will always be the car driver who gets blamed. I’ve made mistakes while driving cars – and I’ve made mistakes while riding bikes. I think being a motorcyclist makes me a better car driver, without doubt, but I can still get it wrong in/on either vehicle. If you don’t believe me, take a trip to Stonehenge – the single carriageway part of the A303 – and look at all the motorcycle nutters after a race at Thruxton. They all think they’re Rossi, and they all think they’re immortal as they ride down the middle of the traffic - that is almost stationary - at 80mph. It’s a two-way street out there - motorcyclists need to respect other road users as well. How about asking the question “Are motorcyclists better or worse than they used to be?” I’d vote worse.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices