You are in... Forums > General > General > Are Expensive Tyres Worth It

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Are Expensive Tyres Worth It

Ok so here is my dilema - I have an ER6N that needs new tryes, I don't ride hard, do ride in all weathers, occasional motorway, need something that will last a bit and I'm on a very tight budget.  SO do I actually need expensive tryes like the Bridgestone BT023's or consiering all of the above would it be more sensible to get something cheaper like Mitchlin Road Pilot - with my conservavtive riding style is it going to make a huge difference.

Comments welcome :smiley:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 April 2012 09:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

Both of the brands you have mentioned a premium brands and therefore any tyre from their ranges, as along as recommended fitment for your machine, will perform well.  I am a fan of BT023's but if these are too expensive then look at the BT021 - still a sport-tourting tyre but being the older model it's cheaper.  It will still last and perform well on your bike.  Everything I have read about the Pilot Road is good too and it's a similar type of tyre so I am sure they will be good also.  

Reply to this Topic
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Marcus

Hi

Thanks for your comments - the BT021 isn't on the recommended list for my bike and I have heard bad things about them so might give those a miss :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

PR2's

will now be discounted now that the PR3's are out.

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

I think you've ansewered your own question

Even tyres which have been replaced by a newer version are still very good and usually beyond most peoples riding requirements and ability, they're usually £30-50 a pair cheaper too. Buy the latest/best tyres if you want them and can afford them, otherwise go for the cheaper options.

Alternatively, there are some good reports on the more budget tyres like Maxxis.  Just check out some of the review sites.

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

tyres

I know I recently replaced the tyres on my Trannie for some Metzelers.  The difference in grip and confidence from the ones that came on the bike is significant.  My advice is get good tyres.  I don't have a particularly exuberant riding style but, if your're going to ride throughout the year, you want good grip on the tarmac.

The trick some people fall into is buying expensive track-focused tyres for the road which is a waste of money and counter-productive as the tyres never get to their optimum operating temperature.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Get good reviews from Versys owners, very long life & good grip wet/dry, check 'em out.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Pilot Roads

are well suited to an ER6 and will give you plenty of life. Pilot Road 2's Last around the same time but give better grip whilst leant over due to being multi compound.

Both tyres are fine in the wet.

Reply to this Topic
r6buz

May 05

r6buz says:

Michelins can be repaired if you get a puncture.

Reply to this Topic
Kilgore001

Mar 12

Kilgore001 says:

Value for money

I have found Michelin Road Pilot 2's to be an excellent tyre - they have good grip in the wet and last really well. Sometimes I think it's worth paying more for tyres that perform well and represent good value for money in the long term - especially if you're out in all weathers.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Not particularly cheap but I'm loving them on my Fireblade and ZX12R. Last really well and give a good sporty feel wet or dry.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices