You are in... Forums > General > General > Really in the sh1t

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Really in the sh1t

Sunday night "The Wife" was having a shower only to find it wasnt draining properly. I blamed her for moulting and filling up the drain. Anyway gave the shower a good plunging - no real effect. Went downstairs to lift the drain cover outside only to see a cascade of water over the back door.

Seems in my plunging efforts I have managed to blow the seal on the pipe going to the en-suite and the water was coming down inside the cavity of the outside wall. Bu&&er.

Anyway lifted the manhole cover and nothing coming from the ouse. Tried rodding got a major blockage two rod lenghts from the drain. Put caustic soda down no joy. Cant get make any impression in the blockage.

So have decided that being on clay soil the sewage pipe has collapsed. Tomorrow I will be in the sh1t as we break the concrete outside the back of the house and then dig out 6metres of old pipework and replace it. Of course until I start digging no idea how long the porblem has been there so how much pooh etc I am going to get acquainted with but for £40 for new pipework and a day of hell. I am going to DIY rather than £500 for a professional.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 09:09)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

You're in the s***

twice over....and blaming the wife will take a lot longer to fix than the drain.That pipework sounds very cheap.I'd be tempted to give the caustic a bit more time to work.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Shit happens

25 years of septic tank deposits removed last month.  That was a shitty job.

Obe - have you tried shoving a running hose up the drain to loosen things up a bit (and see if hardcore comes out)?

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

yip

been there and done exactly the same, had a laugh with mine though a mate who tried helping[bless him] shoved a jet wash nozzle up the old 4 inch pipe as the last resort before new pipes ffs the smell on the poor bugger when he got a full bore return from the solid block of shite stuck in the pipe, still makes me laugh twenty odd years later.

have fun, but be sure you have a decent fall on those pipes.

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

obewan

I'm a plumber by trade, give me a shout if you need any advice. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Fratzman

Sorry only just seen your post. Many thanks for the offer.

We got there in the end. The old pipework was fibre pitch and was rotting from the inside giving any debris lots to hang on to and cause a blockage. Also took the opportunity to reroute the ground water pipework as well.

Now just got a large area outside the back of the ouse need slabbing, put about 10 tonnes of road scalpings down for now.

Not the nicest of jobs but when we broke the drain at the right point it all came flooding out and into the man-hole and down into the septic tank.

So all resolved. Hopefully never to be touched again in my life time

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices