Skip to content

Discuss This Rev limit best way to cut cost and performance of MotoGP prototypes MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Rev limit best way to cut cost and performance of MotoGP prototypes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Rev limit best way to cut cost and performance of MotoGP prototypes

A rev limit is the most effective way of reducing costs and cutting the gulf in performance between the factory prototypes and new 1000cc production-based CRT machines in MotoGP. That’s the view of former Technical Director Mike Webb, who is now MotoGP’s Race Director in 2012. A rev ceiling of around 14,500 to 15,000rpm is currently under discussion to bring the high-revving...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 09:25)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

to much

controlling the revs would work... but i would be opposed to anything below 16k, youhave to give the manufacturers room to push the limits of their technology and develop better bikes for us in the end... i say put it at 17k and take away pnuematic valves as they will never end up on a road bike... that alone would cut the performance enough without cutting into electronics

people that want to go back to 2 strokes and cut electronics and all that are just being hipsters... you cant bitch about CRT bikes dumbing down motogp and then say we need to ditch electronics in the same breath that just doesnt make any sense... look at Edwards, the more he gets it diled in the faster he goes

if you took away electronics, even just some of them, motogp  bikes would damn sure be way slower than WSBK and we would see a lot more wrecks for sure how are you all missing that

judging by how close CRT bikes are to the pace already one would have to think that the top 5 guys with factory development behind them would be very close to where they are now and with more time under their belt they will only go faster... thats how it works in racing, always has been always will be... the whole reason they went to 800's was to slow them down and that didnt work because manufacturers will always find a way to go faster... the only reason WSBK is almost as fast as motogp these days is because of, say it with me now, TECHNOLOGY... there is a reason why models are updated every few years these days and thats because technology is progressing faster than ever and i for one would be utterly disgusted if that were to change

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

blue200 - not sure what you've been watching for the last couple of years, but by what definition do you claim that 250's have been 'destroyed'?  the class was pricing itself into oblivion so it had to change, just as MotoGP is also having to change.  to paraphrase the great man, rumours of the death of MotoGP are greatly exaggerated!

as for WSBK, they'll be going through a similar exercise before too long for exactly the same reasons - the cost and the technology has already gone beyond what superbike racing was supposed to be.  at present, yes, it's producing good racing, but as soon as the costs in MotoGP become realistic, all the manufacturer support will gravitate to GP.  WSBK will head towards what BSB has achieved by getting a spec-ECU and making the class more like what it's supposed to be - racing production bikes, not some pseudo-GP clones.

as for there being two WSBK championships, Bridgepoint and Dorna will make sure that won't happen.

Reply to this Topic
revnev7

Oct 11

revnev7 says:

FLYING PIG`S.....

Are there really people, who are deluded enough, to think that any team would wan`t either of the Ducati Work`s rider`s?  REALLY ? Nicky.nice enough bloke,but a mid-fielder thru` and thru`,and has been for year`s and year`s. And Valentino,headed in only one direction,and has been for a long while. New rider`s are coming, good rider`s who could possibly be great one`s,that`s the future,not ex-winner`s from the distant past.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Nicky.nice enough bloke,but a mid-fielder thru` and thru`,and has been for year`s and year`s

Are you sure what about finishing in the top 3 in 2005 then a year later taking the title no matter how he won it shame he never really clicked with the 800s as they weren't his type of bikes to race on but one thing you can't take away is he is Ducati's 3rd best rider after Stoner and Loris.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

benny and yam co

thanks for the link benny, very good read, this part is the most true to it tho

"Here is the story as Germán tells it: Rossi has decided that this season is hopeless, that the Ducati is going nowhere and that he wants out. He wants to negotiate a way out of the Philip Morris deal.

If he can manage this, he will sit out the remainder of the season and either join Tech3 Yamaha next year or lease his own Yamahas and run his own team"

now how we all look at his yamaha exit and who rides for them now is the real question, he still is a money maker and given the series state of erm financial problems, e.g. crt, can the series afford to loose rossi off the grid?

i do accept he cant ride the duke and nicky can, but you gotta say casey did a fine job given his status back then campared to rossi. either way my eyes are wider open about this quitting rumour, so ty for the info, as for the rest of my glory chums, race on and go go go cal!!!!!jorge for the title.even tho i think casey will be close. i just think the yam is the better package once again this year.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

????

can motogp survive without rossi.... HELL YES IT CAN

changing of the guard is all it is... he had his run but just like all the champs that came before him the show will go on

Rossi may mean the world to his fans and be the only reason they watch motogp... we may lose rossi fans from the sport but not real motogp fans...

fans of motorcycle racing will watch no matter who is racing.... sorry but its the truth

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

fair point.

i do partly agree with you because i do also watch it for all racers and not not just one, but rossi has still got some bargain power being know as the GOAT but for how long? i cant see him wanting to ride mugello on that thing can you? meaning if the rumours are true he will dump the team. he wont be fussy about money, more pride, and if you see the moto gp website he is racing 4 wheels or testing this weekend, that aint healthy given the teams status methinks, but yes moto gp will survive without him, but at what cost?? thats my point.

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

greener pastures

with this season shaping up to be like the last and with how frustrated Rossi is,  and with the amount of rising talent in motogp and on its way to motogp, personally i think it would be more interesting to see him move on to something else... Rossi in F1 would spark a lot of interest slightly less in ralley just due to market.

as far as WSBK i think he is too good for that, he may be getting old but he still has some fight in him if he had a decent ride, the man has the money, sponsors, crew,  and connections to run his own team i wouldnt put that out of the question either... he should build a CRT to race the rest of the season as he will be midfield on the ducati anyways and use his pulling power to even things up for 2013... but thats coming from someone who wants to see CRT develop into awesome racing because i believe its the way to go

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

limits

i think a modest rev limit of 16500 to 17000... ditch the pnumatic valves... ditch the engine limit and make it 1 engine per weekend with 5 spot grid penatly if you have to change it during the weekend...

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

forget rev limiters.......

....what about 2 valve heads or aircooling?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices