Skip to content

Discuss This Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes

Zero’s latest S-model roadster is not just the best electric motorcycle yet to go on sale, it’s proof that battery-powered bikes could be a force in the near future. The comprehensively revamped Californian bike is good for 80mph, handles well and is fun to ride. And more importantly than that, it’s capable of being ridden for 70 miles at a decent...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 10:26)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Not bad...

Performance sounds below that of a 250 but significantly better than a 125. In fact similar to the 1980 Z200 that could just scrape up to 80mph and in testing achieved 80mpg on average. If you accepted the lower performance it makes a CBF125 that can do 60mph, 130mpg and costs 2500 seem very good value...

But if I had the spare cash (sadly not)  I would happily try one...

Andy

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Until such time

as this planet can find viable renewable sources for electricity, electric vehicles will continue to be the con of the centruy. Particularly as internal combustion engine efficiency gains continue to march forward on the back of such technologies as tested in MotoGP and the field.

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Zero S

Na you can't beat the combustion engine and don't forget these electric bikes need charging so you need to generate electricity so not saving the planet either, just an overprice toy

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

zero my arse

These electric bikes cars etc etc are aload of old tosh. All this bollocks about zero emition well they have to be charged with mains electric and where does it come from, you guesed it coal or oil or rubish fire power stations so where is the green bit.

At £11,795  would rather go and buy myself another speed triple and have change to keep it gased up for a few thousand miles

grazzerfazer  spot on an expensive toy

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Economy Problem

Er just what happens when there is a power cut then and I cant charge it to get to work.... :P

Reply to this Topic
ldashworth

Oct 04

ldashworth says:

Pointless...

No-one I can think of that has 12 grand to spend is going to buy one of these, no matter how cheap it is to recharge.  A cheap to buy model for cash strapped commuters might actually sell, and would perhaps be less disappointing in terms of performance.  Although it does look better than a G-Wizz car.  Which is not much of an accolade.

Better still, give me one of those diesel powered KLR650 alikes that I've seen, and run it on biodiesel made from the old chip-shop oil.  That'd be a great bike, and would get me to AND from work without refuelling /charging.  More to the point, the unobtainium elements that make up motors and batteries for these electric vehicles wouldn't have to be mined then.

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

electric m/cycle

to dear at the moment but when the electric revolution comes and it will first with cars .downside is  pay to drive will come.that bike featured id have one but at the moment its to dear.

Reply to this Topic
owensj

Dec 05

owensj says:

1884 all over again

Stop being such a bunch of luddites!

Yeah OK, the bike is expensive and won't get many of us to and fro from work (my round trip to work is 70 miles).

But you're missing the point. This is the first reasonable electric bike we've seen. Things are improving at a fast pace. I bet that first petrol bike in1884 rode like crap, was unreliable, dangerous etc. And I bet people said the same things then you guys are saying now!

I welcome electric powered bikes. I'm sick of having to fill my tank every 2 days. Sick of the price of petrol. I would rather never have to go to a petrol station again.

;-)

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

DEAR MCN

Can you not add a link to the poll you had on electric bikes as there was a fairly healthy debate on that item.

At the moment if you cover a subject such as electric bikes or a new triumph (rare) or the end of the GS (again), there is nothing to link any of the seperate articles together so just just have to scan down the list of items which is tedious.

Reply to this Topic
ibking

Nov 05

ibking says:

Remember this

When we all start going electric (bikes & cars) , the oil companies will buy-out the electic companies and the price of  electricity will go sky high.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices