Skip to content

Discuss This Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Zero S: A big step forward for electric bikes

Zero’s latest S-model roadster is not just the best electric motorcycle yet to go on sale, it’s proof that battery-powered bikes could be a force in the near future. The comprehensively revamped Californian bike is good for 80mph, handles well and is fun to ride. And more importantly than that, it’s capable of being ridden for 70 miles at a decent...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 10:26)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

owensi

Your comparison lacks a couple of important facts There was no other type of Bike and there are millions of better performing bikes today, for a lot less money. Remember the C5....?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

So, let's say £6K more than an NC700S or G650GS

Both of which get about 80mpg.  Ballpark, I make that about 76,000 miles you could do on either of them before this trinket starts to pay off.

Personally, I'd be surprised if it made it to 10,000 miles before the battery dies or the manufacturer folds and spares become impossible to find.

When Honda do an electric bike, they'll be a serious proposition.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Not Yet

Batteries are and always will be the weak link, as their theoretical energy density is poor compared to any hydrocarbon fuel. The benefit of development is that once fuel cells become feasible, the rest of the drive-train will be a relatively mature and reliable technology.

If the goal is simply to reduce emissions in major cities, the technology and infrastructure for compressed natural gas (CNG) is already in place to a limited extent, and being used by buses and other fleet vehicles.

Reply to this Topic
owensj66

Nov 07

owensj66 says:

reeply to snev

There was the steam powered bike...

Ha ha, I was only tongue in cheek ;-) I obviously don't remember 1884. Yes it's not a bike many of us will buy. And yes we are lucky to have so much choice these days. But as I say, it is progress.....

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Umm...

YZF-R 125s are just as fast (Well, 1 mph in it) and can do 150 mpg (real world)

And well under half price.

And the CBF isn't the last word in honda's fuel effciency - a CBR 125 is capable of the same as the YZF, under the right conditions. And has a 6 speed gearbox.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Rogerborg

I've been reliably informed they are working on them.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices