You are in... Forums > General > General > Automatic 125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

shanep

Jul 09

shanep says:

Automatic 125

My little sister's having to get on two wheels for financial reasons, she's driven a car for 3 years so hopefully has enough road-sense...

We're considering which bike she can buy but she's laid down conditions, lol:

- Legal to ride on CBT

- Must not look or sound like a moped (not going to uni on one of them!)

- Automatic gearbox so she can focus her attention on the road.

I've found only one 125 that resembles a superbike whilst also having an auto-gearbox - GIlera DNA - they look good and are quite reasonable on price but it would be nice to have other options.

Any suggestions?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 19:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

How much

dosh has she got to spend?

Insurance is inevitably going to be a factor - esp as a newbie.

Has she done the CBT yet, or waiting to do it?

As for the auto 'box, is it a personal preference, or is there some reason that a manual bike would be hard work (eg medical problems)?

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

if she can drive a geared car then she be fine on a geared bike as clutch and gears work in the same way

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Automatics

Gear changes don't take long to become second nature especially if you have already been driving a manual car.

So my suggestion would be, get her to do her CBT on a manual bike. That way she will be under supervision and 'protected' by the instructor following her & posibly a couple of hours road traning a few days later.

If she is still adamant that she needs an automatic then go down that line.

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Check

the seat heights, and remind her, she can sore things under the seat on a scooter.

Reply to this Topic
princessvanvan

Jan 12

i agree

with makemrider if your sister can give a geared bike ago in a controlled environment perhaps arrange a taster session before the cbt thats what i did and if she does find the geared bike is not for her at least she has given it ago and they can put her back on a automatic bike, when i had my free 1 hour taster session at my training school {most training schools will do this if asked) they put me on a 50 cc scooter at first as i had never ridden a bike before and i was a bit dawnted by a geared bike but i was doing so well on the scooter that my instructor said try a geared bike so i did and i havnt looked back it was much easier than i first thought so what iam saying is try it and see how ur sister gets on! and regarding bikes there are so many to choose from if she goes for geared bike, suzuki rv van van are a great funky little bike i have one and its been a great first bike i have had so much fun on it and iam doing my bike test on it soon or yamaha ybr or there are plenty of scooters out there if she goes for the automatic option i dont know many sports bike automatic bikes apart from the one u mentioned but all i can say is have a hunt around i wish ur sister well with her cbt whatever descion she makes :biggrin:vv

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Got to be geared I think

If it is for financial reasons then get a geared 125, uses less fuel and I believe is cheaper to maintain. The gears really do become second nature in half an hour :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices