Skip to content

General What bike should I get?? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > What bike should I get??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

PRS33

Apr 12

PRS33 says:

What bike should I get??

Hi all,

I need some advice..,

I have got my DAS booked in and all being well I will be on 2 wheels in no time however I don't know what bike will suit me best? I'm 33 but have never owned a bike before so I am a complete novice I'm not the smallest of blokes either at 6 2' and the wrong side of 16st! I have a budget of around the £3k mark..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 21:03)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

New bike

PRS,

Well the way I go about buying a bike is read all the reviews in the category and then start looking at the ads- get to know the models and which ones to avoid ie old chinky bikes, thrashed off roaders/enduros or thrashed road bikes. 

£3k will get you a newish (2+ years) Jap (Honda,Yam,Suzi, Kawa) 125 or a new Chinky bike.

Your restricted to 33bhp if I recall correctly (please check as I am not sure and the rules are about to change?) so I'd look at something like a 500cc bike. ER500 or the CB500 are good solid bikes that fit the bill I am a similar weight and found the ER a great bike to commute on provided you look after it.

Hope this helps.

BaldE

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

New Bike

Does DAS mean you are restricted?  I didn't think so. 

Make yourself a pain at all your local bike dealers.  Sit on anything that takes your fancy and see what floats your boat.  I would suggest that you stay away from anything with a full fairing.  You are more likely to drop your bike as a novice and fairings are expensive to repair / replace.     

Reply to this Topic
Lifeintheslowlane

Jun 10

new bike

Yeah, the critical thing is being comfortable on the bike, and the only way to find out is to go and sit on them. Bike design has come on immeasurably in all areas except one - ergonomics. Thirty years ago you could change footrest heights, bar heights, seat height - now most bikes seem to be built for midgets and contortion artists. If you're over 6' the relationship of the pegs to seat is what to look for in particular. Magazine reviews are obsessed with low seat heights and don't really take anyone tall into account.. Good Luck. Steve (6'5")

Reply to this Topic
spibes

Aug 09

spibes says:

Do the research

33bph restriction shouldn't apply to direct access. Ive had an ER6F and found it a good bike. Not sure if it might be a little on the small side for your frame. Best bet is shop around and try some out.

Good luck

Reply to this Topic
Mannakin

Sep 10

Mannakin says:

try

a Suzuki V-Strom 650.

With your size and weight you should find it very manageable and I know there is an easy kit/mod to restrict them.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Firstly

you need to factor in insurance; as a newbie, it'll be high.

Secondly, as MM states, avoid faired bikes - they'll make your eyes water when you drop the thing (its something we've all done).

Thirdly, don't fall into the trap of spunking loads of cash on a bike and skimping on kit (decent boots/gloves/helmet) / security: as a newbie, your higher risk of a spill (even a minor one) means you may be relying on it earlier than you planned. It pays to get decent security too, because you don't want your new pride and joy going walkies, and may save you a few quid on insurance.

If after kit / security / DAS you still have £3k to spend, you can pick up an early Kawasaki ER6 for that (my local bike shop had an 07 plate for £3k, haggle and you'd probably get it for £2500-£2700). A private sale will get you it for less, although a dealer may give you 2 or 3 months warranty with it.

If you find the ER6 cramped, have a look at its sister bike, the Versys: mechanically they're the same, but the Versys has different suspension and is a bit taller.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices