Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

agenot

Oct 08

agenot says:

Ambulance (not) Chaser

Question:-

Is it allowed, within the rules of this land or even indeed the road users protocal, to overtake a ambulance with its sirens blasting and its blues a flashing, even though, with ones riding, the aforementioned ambulance is not at any time held back on time, to its main destination?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 April 2012 23:07)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

emergency

I would not overtake any emergency vehicle with blue lights and sirens blasting and i hope you don`t,it`s possible for the emergency vehicle to make a sudden manouver either left or right and if anybody is in the way (overtaking) it`s an obstruction.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Overtaking an ambulance

I think common sense applies here and I doubt that you can supoort the claim that, in overtaking an emergency vehicle with the 'blues and two's' going, that you are not going to impede their progress.  Stay behind and out of their way.

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Old

Dispatch rider trick, wave it past then sit behind it gets you through the traffic fast, until you come to a red light.

Can do the same with a fire engine.

But don't do it behind a cop car they get the hump. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Presume okay on motorway

Done it myself on M40, ambulance in midle lane doing 65 with blues on, I cruised past in o/s lane at 70ish...

Presume Ambulance was on speed limiter?

Wouldn't try it on normal roads as likely cars would be pulling out as soon as Ambulance had past so higher risk of getting creamed

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I had this

dilemma last week.. I was heading into London from LHR at rush hour so 3 lanes of heavy traffic and I pulled over to let the ambulance thru, he passed so I figured i'll just sit 30 or so metres behind and follow... but because of the heavy traffic I would have been able to filter a lot faster than the ambulance.

I umm'd and aah'd for a little while then figured it would not be the done thing to overtake it.. So I just sat behind at a safe distance.. but not such a distance that would allow a car to cut between us.. Oh yes, and after a few mins there was about 3 or 4 other bikes behind me too, they had room to pass me and the ambulance but none of them did. A tad annoying following when you know you could get thru quicker but he turned off after a couple of miles anyway.

Yeah... I think you should def stay behind 

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Use it

I used to do this a lot in Derby.  I'd spot a blue light behind me and see the parting of the waves, let the ambulance pass, then sit behind it.

I agree that you could probably still filter quicker, but hey - it might be a biker inside, so give him priority.

But also - if it's on a dual carridgeway or motorway, then pass at leisure.

Reply to this Topic
Matt83

Jul 11

Matt83 says:

Would stay back

I had this dilemma with a fire engine on a dual carriageway.  It was clearly in a hurry, but those big old trucks aren't exactly the fastest things in the world...

I gave up after a while and went past, but I think it's a different story in town.  As others have said you should expect him to make sudden moves; to have bikes flying past all the time does slow him down - he should be checking mirrors and blind spots (obviously) but he would also normally expect to be able to make progress expecting those to come up ok - if you make him paranoid in his mirrors he's going to slow down.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I personally would never do it

however here is a video from the isle of man where speed limits are unlimited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLg2E6L6-8

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not illegal in itself

but bear in mind that they are legally entitled to exceed the speed limit, and go through red lights whilst on blue lights / sirens, therefore if Mr Plod sees you do it, they may take a dim view ("you were overtaking an ambulance, could you have been speeding sir?"), and if you have an accident, you may have a hard time proving your innocence for that reason (ie, try explaining it to your insurance co, or in a court).

It does depend heavily on the exact circumstances (type of road, traffic levels etc) so its not really possible to provide a "one size fits all" type answer.

I personally would be inclined to sit behind it because a) traffic may behave unpredictably on hearing the siren (I don't want to be the poor sod that needs the ambulance), and b) you never know where its going; ask yourself "could it be going to attend to a member of my family?"

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

yip

motorways and dual laned roads.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN