Skip to content

Ask an Expert Truth about breaking in? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Truth about breaking in?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

enkidu

Mar 12

enkidu says:

Truth about breaking in?

Hello everyone!

I'm quite interested in some expert opinions about an article I read covering the breaking in of a new sport motorcycle. Here is the link to the article:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It does have some logic. The interest I have in this matter is linked to the fact that I am going to buy a new 11 ZX-10R in august. I'm still not convinced what method of "running in" should I use. The easyest would be to stick to what the manual and the dealer recommends. Apart from that, it's pure curiosity.
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Cheers.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 April 2012 07:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Personally

I'd stick to whats in the book.

The two points that stand out for me are a) Manufacturers spend £m on R&D, have facilities that your average mechanic / engine builder / tuner can only dream about, their engineers have access to a wealth of data unattainable by us mere mortals, and have years of experience setting these things up that they work reliably, day in day out, for a mass market. Your average mechanic / tuner (call them what you will) is, in my view, highly unlikely to improve upon this.

b) Engines get test run before they get fitted to a bike anyway, therefore part of the bedding in process has already taken place.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Evidence?

Interesting article which I've seen before, but if it was my hard-earned new road bike I'd run it in according to the manufacturer's instructions. The lengthy text makes a bit of sense to this non-expert (the target audience?) but where is the evidence beyond a few pistons of uncertain history?

"By following the instructions on this page, you'll find that your oil is cleaner and the engine will rev quicker.
Plus, you'll have much better torque and power across the power range from the vastly improved ring seal."

Where are the independent, comparative dyno plots?

Reply to this Topic
enkidu

Mar 12

enkidu says:

Point taken

Yeap, both your answers make a sound point, as I expected. I tend towards the manuals/factory recommendations as well. Thank you guys. Hey, anyone from the Teesside area? :)

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Just do it....

I'm with the follow the manual, don't try too hard camp. Particularly with such a capable (and liquid cooled) bike you should just keep your revs down and don't labour it too much too quick. Try several longish journeys so that its not always warming up...
My bikes have loosened up quite noticeably after many 1000 miles (e.g. at about 8000-10000 miles or so) although I don't think I would notice on a ZX10 - I am talking 250s, ER6Fs and Deauvilles!
The fact is almost every demo bike doesn't get run in at all (ragged from new) and most of them are okay...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

The

running in schedule is there for a reason, which is not the engine manufacturer being awkward.

Having worked in the engine R&D industry for many years and having carried out a large number of 'Butch Tests' (engine fitted to test bed, immediately set to run full throttle at maximum load for 30 minutes, remove engine strip and inspect piston, rings and cylinder walls condition).

Some complete the test run, but then when rebuilt and put on test and compared to an engine which has been run in correctly it is the 'butch test' engine which loses power and torque first and in general fails whilst the comparison engine goes on to complete many more hours of service either on a durability test or performance test.

Most people who risk not carrying out the running in schedule do not retain the bike for to long and therefore pass the problem on to other unsuspecting riders to pick up the peices, in some instances literally.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices