Skip to content

Ask an Expert People's Opinions Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > People's Opinions

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

People's Opinions

I am moving up to a bigger capacity bike, I was wondering people's opinions on the best Naked and Sports bike?

I have about a 3-3.5k limit.

Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 April 2012 23:54)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

PS

I know that 'best' is down to preference, but there are lots of bikes out there and I have found a few that I am taking fancy to. However there might be pros and cons which I might not know about.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

If it's

dry fun miles then demo one of these, if you can live with the slightly snatchy throttle response and laughable mpg then it's:smile:smile:smile happy days.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Aprilia/TUONO-1000/FIGHTER-RSV-TUONO-1000/2005/_/R-NXGN-2201896

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

get a 2003-2004 R6, i have one and its ace!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What size

are you moving from, and what size are you planning to go to?

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

F800R ?

parallel twin 800cc BMW naked roadster?

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

So much choice...

There are a lot of good bikes out there and recommending just one is going to be difficult without a few more restrictions. For example which bike manufacturers you prefer or how tall you are and what you intend to do with it. You have a lot of choice with 3500 to spend but it knocks out many of the premium bikes...:
Out and out 600cc sports bikes: look at an R6, CBR600RR, ZX6R or GSX600R. You might struggle with your budget.
Slightly more comfy 600cc sports bikes: Look at a Yamaha Thundercat, CBR600F, Kawasaki ZZR600. You could get a realy nice example of any of these for your money because they tend to be older.
Naked 600s: Look at a Hornet 600 or a Triumph Street Triple. Major issue with these is that they are small physically but they are great fun. The CB1000R is like a slightly bigger hornet with more poke...
Semi-Faired Mid size bikes: look at Z750S, F800S, Fazer FZ6S2, Er6F, GSX650, (Not sure about the diversion 600 new but its quite good second hand as an alternative to an ER6F if the price is right). Should be easily in budget.
Semi Faired big Bikes: Look at a CBF1000, Fazer FZS1000 etc (You won't have a huge choice in this range on your budget)
Adventure Style bikes: Look at a Versys, V Strom, TDM900, Good if you are tall and/or don't want a sports bike. These should be in budget but bikes like R1200GS etc are not.
Sports Tourers: Look at a VFR800, F800ST (only just in budget).

In the end its going to be your bike and all bikes are compromises. For example my F800S was bought for very low running costs (as I am a long distance commuter) but is also fun to ride and not too big for me. However that is my compromise. Some would prefer a Deauville (slower, more comfy, costs more to run) or an out and out sports bike (less comfy, colder, and hang the expense) or a R1200GS (more expensive, cost a fortune to run (not just mpg but also servicing), big and comfy) for the job...

Reply to this Topic
MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

Thanks for your opinions!

If the bikes are smaller (physical height) the better because I am only 5 10"ish therefore a bike such as a supermoto I wouldn't be able to use. But all thanks for all the recommendations it has broadened my range to look for and hopefully can find a new one! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices