Skip to content

Discuss This Why police won’t know a bike is stolen after six years General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Why police won’t know a bike is stolen after six years

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Why police won’t know a bike is stolen after six years

Police only keep records of stolen vehicles for six years meaning bikes missing for longer are unlikely to be detected. An MCN investigation has discovered that stolen vehicles’ details are automatically deleted from the Police National Computer on the sixth anniversary of the crime report. Because officers rely on the PNC when running vehicle checks, bikes stolen before 2006 are...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 10:11)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Another bit of process nonsense...

Thanks Steve for finding this. Clearly this is a bit of housekeeping nonsense on the Police computers that has been inserted to try and save money but needs to be removed otherwise they will lose valuable information. It isn't correct so it shouldn't be done (as always with computers you need to make sure that the process you implement makes sense and has no security flaws - even a minor security flaw when combined with another can cause catasphic failures)

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

Smutty

A good piece of freedom of information work, if the police wipe clean theft records of one sort do they wipe all theft records of all crimes. 

Wait till you get elected leaders for some forces later this year they will be wiping all sorts of crimes of the system so they can get top marks which lead to a heavy bonus.  Does honesty pay it should in a free country but the leaders up the smoke stand in to many dark corners to get caught. 

andy

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

Madness

It's not just motorcycle theft this 6 year rule relates to, we had a chap caught, dismissed & prossecuted for stealing from other members of staff where i work, he is now working back on site again, after my colleague & i took it on our own backs to bring it to the on site police womans attention she looked into it & said that as the thefts had occured more than 6 years ago they could no longer be taken into account, now i'm not pointing a finger but it is strange that theft from staff changing areas has started again!!!

Reply to this Topic
EngieBenji650

Apr 12

good job ive just bought myself a brand new 2012 cbr125. atleast i know its not stolen :P

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

EngieBenji650

EngieBenji650 - good job ive just bought myself a brand new 2012 cbr125. atleast i know its not stolen.

After a couple of months on that you will wish it does get stolen.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Devil's advocate

Playing devil's advocate for a minute; If they haven't found it after six years they're unlikely to find it. It's not like a missing person, it's a pile of metal and plastic which, after 6 years, will in most cases be worth a quarter of it's original value. However, I really don't see the point in removing it from their records. These days data storage is so much cheaper than it used to be. Strikes me of a policy laid down when technology prices dictated that memory was a lot costly. The cynic in me says it will make their stats look better if there are less unsolved cases on their systems but experience says "Never assign to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Plod

Plod are a joke, more interested in making money by setting up speed cameras, they don't have to get off their arse to improve crime figures

Reply to this Topic
Fz6daveg

Mar 09

Fz6daveg says:

Six Year threshold

It's interesting to read this article but isn't it great news for theives. Why advertise this so they can plan ahead!!

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

engy benjy

park that anywhere without a decent lock and chain and it certainly will be

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Log book loans are the thieves charter, not this.

I'd be more worried about buying a car or bike that the seller has had a log book loan on! These vehicles will not show up on any check you do. A log book loan isn't finance, or HP. When you get a log book loan, the vehicle belongs to the lender until you pay them back. The seller gets a loan, then sells the vehicle, the log book loan company do not go after the seller, they just want their vehicle back. You then lose it because it officially belongs to someone else.

Very very dodgy, made so because of old laws to safeguard owners of ships that still apply today! That bike you bought yesterday, may not be yours, and you will not know until they come to take it away!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices