Skip to content

Discuss This Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

More than two thirds of motorcyclists have had a near miss in the last six months resulting from another road user failing to look.   Sixty-nine percent of motorcyclists said they had experienced at least once ‘smidsy’ accident, so called because of offending drivers’ tendency to say: “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you.” Of those, 86% had to take evasive action...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davebuust

Dec 11

davebuust says:

Errrr....

How many motorcyclists were on the road in the last six months, considering that covers October to March (essentially winter), I presume? Doesn't take into account motorcyclists' speed either, so it seems slightly one-sided to me. But who am I to question the mighty fraternity that is the IAM...

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

davebuust...

It doesn't matter really how many were on the road as it's a statistical percentage... 2/3rds of 2000 is the same as 2/3rds of 200... & no it doesn't take account of speed because that's not what they were surveying.

Reply to this Topic
davebuust

Dec 11

davebuust says:

Hedgehog5

I don't think it's a true representation of the motorcycling community if it only covers motorcyclists riding in winter conditions, considering most use their bikes for leisure rather than commuting. Very few bother to ride in the winter for enjoyment, so is this more related to bike commuters and professional riders? Also, I have near misses in my car because of other drivers, so again, it's more universal than just for motorcyclists. And if it's not taking into account speed, how can they accurately assume it's the driver's fault for not seeing a speeding motorcyclist? What if a rider comes round a corner dramatically exceeding the speed limit? That's not the fault of the driver is it? Seems to be flawed research to me.

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

I average at least one per fortnight but its misleading to say they're SMIDSYs or even drivers distracted by gadgets, they are almost all drivers who look, see you, hesitate then decide they can still make it at the last minute.

Many drivers just don't give a monkeys about other road users, this happens most on the bike but when I'm in the car as well. Its not just cars either, last weeks was a HGV; I guess the driver assumed he was so big he could just pull out and other road users would have to give way due to his size.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

SMIDSY

This situation will not change until the Government stops directing most of its efforts on speeding, which has little relation to accidents, and starts looking at bad driving, which has a much greater impact on acccidents.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

The figure

I heard was approximately only 6% of fatalities on the road can be directly attributed to excess speed. But I guess educating bad drivers takes up too much time and dosen't make any revenue, unlike speeding tickets.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

TO MUCH SPEED

A lot of these near miss incidents can be put at the door of speeding motorcyclists. I have ridden bikes for many years and bikes have improved in performance no end. The majority of times cars have pulled out in front of me i have been coming out of a blind corner travelling fast. The car then pulls out causing me to brake or take avoiding action, So you cant always blame the car driver! by the way the only accident i have had in the last 30 years was when i was travelling at 30 MPH the driver had good visability but still knocked me of . If you really want to ride safely though,  drive within the speed limit and drive defensivly    

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Speed

I agree with sticking to the limits - particularly in built-up areas but if twat in his/her fog box aint lookin' they are not gonna see ya!  And most of the time that's exactly the problem - they are not looking.   

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

Count me in

I've had easily 4 or 5 close calls this year alone...especially at dusk or dawn when the sun is behind me as such and drivers simply can't see me at all simply as the bike doesn't block out enough of the sun. Other causes are passengers distracting the drivers, drivers playing with satnavs or phones or quite simply pushing out deliberately in heavy traffic with a tough luck biker atitude so being the softest object heading their way they take a chance that we will stop. I've had drivers deliberately pull out and block bus/motorcyle lanes when they knew full well the traffic was at a standing for their intended lane so they hence had nowhere to go and ended up blocking the buses behind me....some driver are blind, some ignorant , some just stupid and some just have it against bikers especially in traffic when we filter.

Reply to this Topic
rywarn

Jun 10

rywarn says:

Davebuust

Flawed Research? Is that because it didn't show what you assumed they were trying to show?

They were researching the percentage of riders who had near misses and don't imply near misses are unique to motorcycling. Nor do they state that this figure will never ever change depending on the purpose of the journey or the time of year. Not so much flawed research as flawed comprehension of the statistics , what they show and their limitations.

I cant understand why you think riding for enjoyment might make you more visible. You'd need to have had some seriously over the top teeth whitening done for your grin to make that much of a difference.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices