Skip to content

Discuss This Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

More than two thirds of motorcyclists have had a near miss in the last six months resulting from another road user failing to look.   Sixty-nine percent of motorcyclists said they had experienced at least once ‘smidsy’ accident, so called because of offending drivers’ tendency to say: “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you.” Of those, 86% had to take evasive action...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
richardmh

May 10

richardmh says:

the other 31% don't ride on the road or are British drivers better than our in Australia?

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Thought

I thought it would be more, over here as the standards of car drivers is shocking to say the least, traffic cops are only obsessed with the speed limit not policing bad driving as I have rarely if ever seen someone pulled for bad driving and having a fat chat on the phone.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Me too...

I was driving a huge volvo horse box (3.5 ton with lights on) this weekend and a car came quickly up to the junction and carried onto my road. They didn't even try and look  my way and I could see clearly they were on the phone. Fortunately I was driving very defensively so they only got a fright (and I prefer not to use my horn with livestock in)...

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

More like

an 86% chance of one happening on a daily basis on the way to work

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

I'd say 2 thirds of all motorists have had a SMIDSY in the last 6 months regardless of the type of vehicle they drive... the standard of driving has dropped so low & there are so many distracted drivers it'd be interesting to see how many HGV drivers have had to take avoiding action because of people failing to see them or take account of their presence... what chance do we have?

Reply to this Topic
OldLooney

Mar 12

OldLooney says:

Its not just motorcyclists that this happen's to. I driive & ride, and what ever your driving or riding, or what colour your clothing, or lights on or off, there will always be some dickhead pull out in front of you. Its bad driving that is the problem and the police need to be having a word with these people instead of turning a blind eye

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

We all see it. Drivers distracted by "info-tainment" systems in their cars and having cell phones pasted to their ears blabbing away. That overall distraction has got to lead to inattentiveness while driving. Just because the technology exists doesn't mean other's lives must be put at risk. We have seen some progressive laws enacted here in the States aimed at curbing cellphone usage while on the road. Some of it being hands-free legislation where a phone cannot be held to one's ear but can be held down away and lower, (That one seems more dangerous in taking people's eyes off the road) to no phone usage while driving at all. But law enforcement is overtaxed as it is and people find ways around these laws. Until something effective comes about all we riders can do is watch out for the other guy because they aren't always watching for you!

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Was involved in a smidsy not too long ago

A lady parked in a bus stop, pulled out to do a u turn without looking or indicating. I was upfront, saw what was about to happen and managed to pull it up with inches to spare. Unfortunately the my mate riding behind me was briefly unsighted, slammed on the brakes and lowsided into the car. Police turned up, and really couldn't care less about what had happened, and seemed more concerned with the shocked lady driver, than with my injured mate with a smashed bike. He didn't even reprimand her until I insisted!

Assume every car driver is a blithering idiot, until proven otherwise. Its the only way.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Smidsy you say?

I have to take evasive maneuvers around least once a month. I got ran completely off the road by a post van when I was overtaking him. I commute every day wearing a high vis vest, lights on and at the time i was on a noisy as f**k SV (I dont think the can was legal) Anyway that was the most extreme manouver that didn't result from or in a crash.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

GEEZER

Like the IAM Geezer said "Other road users’ intentions can often be guessed by their body language and position on the road, so ride defensively, and leave room so that if somebody does do something unexpected, you have time to deal with it".

Look at the other road users eyes, you can normally tell if you have been seen.

A lot of drivers think that because they are on the main road that is where the responsibility for their own safety ends.

If you aren't sure you have been seen slow down. It's no good shouting "I had the right of way" from your hospital bed or coffin.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices