Skip to content

Discuss This Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

More than two thirds of motorcyclists have had a near miss in the last six months resulting from another road user failing to look.   Sixty-nine percent of motorcyclists said they had experienced at least once ‘smidsy’ accident, so called because of offending drivers’ tendency to say: “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you.” Of those, 86% had to take evasive action...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

What nonsense!

17% (I'm saying) of advertisers, chiefly Bennetts and the IAM, know that if they feed MCN some unsubstantiated statistical "research" they can get free advertising.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

What nonsense!

17% (I'm saying) of advertisers, chiefly Bennetts and the IAM, know that if they feed MCN some unsubstantiated statistical "research" they can get free advertising.

Reply to this Topic
nathaniel2910

Apr 12

2 a year, thats a days average.

i must be living in a area full of blind c*nts, on my commute i am usually pulled out on or cut up 2-3 times a day, i dont ride like an ass, cant afford to bieng a student. i dont speed(125cc), i dont filter or do anything that could result in not getting there in one piece, ive even upgraded my headlight to a legal Projector unit with HID, my bike is bright fu&king yellow and i wear a white lid with a decent hi vis jacket, yet the fuckers still dont see me, luckly i have never been involved in a colision, im guessing by both chance and quick reflexes, often people dont even take the time to look when pulling out they just see the opposite side of the road is clear and go. but then again what do they consider a near miss, do you have to be forced onto the pavement??

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

More like "I avoid a SMIDSY every time I go out"

Find myself riding more and more defensively these days, and same when in the car.

Yeah, I like to try and "make progress", but most days ease off or take avoidance well before the blind twat in the car does something stupid.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

SMIDSY

Yes, they suck and they should not happen but they do.  They happen when we do not observe the other driver, or assume that the other driver has observed us.  It takes two to SMIDSY. So assume you have not been seen, even if they are looking right at you, and act accordingly.

I avoid at least one SMIDSY each trip regardless of vehicle type (although my gut tells me the incidence is higher on the bike, I've not kept a tally).

Part of the problem is modern car design.  Those "A" pillars get in the way and block a serious amount of view.  Only really affects bikes because they are small, and won't be too much of a problem in the future once motorcycles are legislated off the road.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

davebuust...

"And if it's not taking into account speed, how can they accurately assume it's the driver's fault for not seeing a speeding motorcyclist?"

It's a survey of motorcyclists & not concerned with apportioning blame... how many motorcylists would report encountering a SMIDSY & say it was their own fault?... there is no proof that any of these incidents even occured never mind who was at fault... it's hearsay... read the statistics for what they are & not for what you're searching for... if it concerns you then research & compile your own... & good luck!

Reply to this Topic
davebuust

Dec 11

davebuust says:

Hedgehog5

"there is no proof that any of these incidents even occured never mind who was at fault... it's hearsay..." Conclusive reasoning for a hard hitting news story then?

Reply to this Topic
petebellst

Feb 11

petebellst says:

Smidsy

I just want to throw a spanner in the works,i quite often travel my Favorite A road with a 60mph limit i know this road so well i can hit speeds of 125mph and have great fun as it twists and turns through some of the most beautiful Cotswold country side, now i am responsible for my speed i look far enough ahead to see the roads joining this wonderful piece of tarmac. We cannot blame a car driver for pulling out in front of us they have no concept of the approaching speeds we are doing (well most of them) we have to be aware and anticipate a pull out its not there responsibility if we are speeding, of course low speed pull outs are unforgivable. Pete

Reply to this Topic
Hwystr

Nov 10

Hwystr says:

Here Comes Hi Vis

.....happening far too often, and very few people are prepared to take responsibility for their part in them. It’s always someone else’s fault.........

We are being cued up for Hi Vis outerwear here by the IAM............meawhile stunningly careless car drivers are mowing down pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists with impunity.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

davebuust...

I agree... which is why my 1st comment suggested that pretty much every road user would probably report the same as this "survey" found.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices