Skip to content

Discuss This Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Two-thirds of riders report ‘smidsy’ incidents

More than two thirds of motorcyclists have had a near miss in the last six months resulting from another road user failing to look.   Sixty-nine percent of motorcyclists said they had experienced at least once ‘smidsy’ accident, so called because of offending drivers’ tendency to say: “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you.” Of those, 86% had to take evasive action...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Yamark69

Feb 12

Yamark69 says:

I commute on the A2 on my R1everyday and find the best mindset is to assume that 'they' are all trying to kill me. Bit drastic I know but it sure as hell feels like it sometimes!

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

@ Yamark69

And that Sir is why you will likely not die in a biking accident. I do the same. Every single car waiting to pull out WILL pull out is my motto. And they sometimes do (especially here in sleepy Devon). I won't forget coming round a corner in Merrow, Surrey to a burning car with a bike embedded in the side, the rider in pieces 50 metres up the road and an elderly couple burning to death in the car. The bike had gone past me seconds earlier at speed in a 40 and then......

Reply to this Topic
SaxonBob

Nov 06

SaxonBob says:

Drivers look but DON'T SEE

I have noticed (hard not to) that more cars no longer wait/look at junctions before pulling out. If you're not in the immediate vicinity of the car they won't see you as they just glance while they are already on their way out of the junction. I recently had two cars pull out in front of me; luckily I was looking for them and managed to avoid the first one by quite a margin; the other driver just followed the other car out without looking; as I was braking I managed to avoid t-boning him! He said he never saw me and he looked! after a few sharp words I got him to admit he never looked properly, He was very contrite and was more shocked than me (really). I told him that an inexperienced rider wouldn't have spotted the pair of them in time and he would have been responsible for seriously injuring/killing a rider. This guy actually stopped his car and came running back to see how I was; luckily I had calmed down by the time he got to me. I hope that my talk to him did some good? and may save someone else in the future (or am I just naive?)or should I have just twatted him!!!

Reply to this Topic
Ralinoco

Nov 08

Ralinoco says:

blind or just stupid

yep, had three children on bicycles dash across the road and two cars pull out of a junction right in front of me (one of which saw me and pulled out anyway) and that was just this morning! there's lots more like this on a daily basis.

HWYSTR: Just to say, It is not the IAM that are trying to introduce compulsory dayglo jacket wearing for motorcyclists it's the E.U. beurocrats in Brussells. Check out www.mag-uk.org for this and other nonsense that the EU want to bring in. If you are not a MAG member, you need to be! Politicians are sitting up and taking note of what is being said by MAG.

last year the Dft released the figures that showed 67% of m/cycle accidents were caused by drivers pulling out of side-roads or pulling across the path of M/C. It's about time the penalties for this sort of action were increased as a deterrent. And the car insurance premiums were loaded to reflect this.

It seems that once again the victim is being punished for the perpetrators actions. 

Reply to this Topic
mimi2010

May 12

mimi2010 says:

I'm surprised it's that low

I'm surprised it's not higher than two-thirds of riders.

Recently sustained a fractured ankle, deep gash on my knee, severe bruising and road rash and soft tissue injuries to my knees, elbows and left hand after a car pulled out of side road and hit me.  My bike is a write-off.   

The accident happened in a 100kmph zone, luckily for me (depending on what way you look at it) I was only doing 60kmph, as I was travelling behind a car that was turning left into the side road that the guy that hit me was turning down from.  He moved out from the junction when I was 2-3 metres away from him looking entirely in the other direction.

The road safety bodies need to start running some campaigns appealing to drivers to take more care pulling out of junctions.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle