Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mechanics fault or mine? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Mechanics fault or mine?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bloofox

Apr 12

bloofox says:

Mechanics fault or mine?

My 8000 mile Triumph  is in for new tyres.. While undoing the front wheel the mechanic snaps a pinchbolt... he says he will need to remove the forkleg, drill out the old bolt and fit a helicoil and new bolt..but not today..Monday is half day..

He offers to collect it from my house on Thursday...

Should I be grateful or pissed off...and am I supposed to pay for the repairs and labor, I don't want to sound tight but I already paid for a pair of new tyres and a £40 fitting charge..

Where do I stand legally..??:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 15:32)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bloofox

Apr 12

bloofox says:

Friend or Foe..

No...I've never been to his place before..and that's a good point..!

I'm hoping he'll be the perfect mechanic to keep in my phone, 2-stroke,4-stroke, he does the lot...And I'm already close to tears when I imagine of the value of my business ( looking honestly at my garage and it's contents ) Also,I want to stay local and in support of the independent guy with the private workshop... but would a decent Main Dealer be more likely to just finish the job, and write the extra time on a Mechanics jobsheet off against a simple service/oil change where they make billions anyway...? Like I keep saying..just wondering..

Reply to this Topic
bloofox

Apr 12

bloofox says:

Friend or Foe

Never met him before. 1st time at his workshop...does that matter ? Well, Yes...but why? 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If its someone

you've never used, try asking some of his other customers if he's any good.

My local bike shop is an independent, he's based 2 streets from where I live, doesn't charge silly money, and has a good team of mechanics who know their jobs. Indeed, he'll sometimes give discounts on parts / kit to his regular customers.

Don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you have some knowledge (even if you use a garage), a) you can gain an insight into their general competence at the job and b) it'll help to give an idea of the problems that they face (like the seized / broken bolt).

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Broken

bolt the onus of payment lays firmly in your court, the mechanic has the right to charge for his time the same as you do for yours.

If during your working day you come across a problem you do automatically stop charging your customer for your time, I doubt it, so why should a mechanic. 

Reply to this Topic
bloofox

Apr 12

bloofox says:

Time

A good point....

Common sense dictates the Mechanic has a right to charge for his time and I'm not denying that... I'll pay what I'm asked and, if it's fair, I'll be back...a lot...

But what if something else goes wrong...what if the fork leg is damaged, or the helicoil is crossed up and needs a bigger one...do I just leave the bike with him and let him charge me whatever he wants whilst riding around on the buses everywhere..?

That would be pretty trusting and very depressing...

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

A

good mechanic will keep you informed of any problems which arise and let you make the desicion as to what YOU want to do about the problem, you should also agree a price for the extra work.

It's normal practice that you state on leaving your vehicle with a repairer that you stipulate the spend limit otherwise you get into the "How long is a piece of elastic scenario". A bit like "Since you serviced my bike I've had a puncture in my tyre , what are you going to do about it." Believe me it does happen.

If problems arise and you want it repaired then you pay the going rate, if the job goes wrong because the mechanic has cocked up then it is up to him / her to put the job right at his / her expense. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I have to say

that it's all shite.

All of it.

That is all. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bloofox

Apr 12