Skip to content

Ask an Expert MOT History missing online Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > MOT History missing online

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pinheadplanet

Apr 10

MOT History missing online

Hi,

Bought a new bike today (well put down a deposit) and I was little apprehensive about the buy as the guy before me only had it a month, dealer said it turned out to be too small for him, but now I've gone to check the MOT history online on the VOSA Direct Gov website and there's only one MOT showing, that was the one carried out by the dealer last month (and no I'm not looking in the wrong place, I am looking in 'History'.

I'm a bit worried now, what to do?

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 April 2012 22:01)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mot

Should the history check show previous mot`s and mileages?

Reply to this Topic
pinheadplanet

Apr 10

mot

Yeah if I key in my current bike or car they both come up, right back to 2005 when the VOSA digitised the records

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Missing MOT

It's a judgement call.  Is the dealer a main dealer?  Do they have a good reputation?  Have you dealt with them before?  I assume you asked to see the bikes documentation before parting with your deposit - what was present?  How complete was the service history?  

As when buying any used bike - any doubts walk away. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

MOT history on-line.

Interesting, I didn't know you could look at a vehicle's MOT history on-line.

What bike and year?

Reply to this Topic
pinheadplanet

Apr 10

mot

It's a small local independent trader/dealer (no new bikes), no idea about reputation, I've never used them before.

Sevice book is stamped about 4/5 times upto 11,000 and there's 15,000 on it now.

I wasn't sure the forks aren't straight (could just be my eyes) but he said it had just passed the MOT (by them!) so was OK...

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

There

should still be a paper version with the bike, from when the bike was 3 years old.

Reply to this Topic
pinheadplanet

Apr 10

mot

They're saying the bike must have been in storage and not used for the past so many years, makes sense

Reply to this Topic
suzijack

Jul 12

suzijack says:

mot history

Bit late with this reply, i have had similair problem and after long time trying i found that the reason for no history was because of the v5 been changed and wrong number added.
I went to the VOSA site who deal with mot`s (dvla don`t) and they asked for bike details ans gave me the test history and the serial number of the test, i took the number to a test station and was given the certificate, (Cost me £10 for certificate,)
hope this can help anyone with same problem in future.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices