Skip to content

Discuss This Factory Honda or Yamaha return unlikely for Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Factory Honda or Yamaha return unlikely for Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Factory Honda or Yamaha return unlikely for Valentino Rossi

Honda has joined Yamaha in distancing themselves from the possibility of signing Valentino Rossi in a shock deal for the 2013 MotoGP world championship.The Italian’s future is already the subject of intense speculation after his disappointing and frustrating start to the new 1000cc era in Qatar earlier this month.The 33-year-old struggled home in 10th place and expressed frustration after the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 April 2012 16:35)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Benny...

Dunno... without last year was it more than Honda? :tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

CCB...

"Honda threw the kitchen sink at the last 800 to turn it into a winner"

... & without Stoner it still wouldn't have been... where have we heard that before?

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Forget VW-Audi

They won't be saving anyone's ass in a hurry. By the time they are in and involved the season will be done and even then there is no indication they'll have any involvement at all. I had a link to a piece Julian Ryder posted that explains it better but suffice to say it will have minimal effect on road bikes and Ducati Corse might get noticed occasionally for their hospitality but will be a drop of the drop in the bucket.

The way it's perceived the VAG takeover will work is that they'll tighten up the production and supply chain and make sure bills are paid duly. The knock on effect of streamlining the process of making motorbikes at Ducati will make for better motorcycles but VAG will leave Ducati to do their thing. We won't see "new" Ducatis, ie Diesel 600s or Hybrid tourers, in all markets but the ones that exist will be better bikes. Witness Lamborghini and their cars, still Lambos as Feruccio would have intended but they work better and aren't as prone to falling apart. 

So, VAG won't be having much impact (if any)  on Ducati Corse. I'll be interested to see what happens with the AMG (Mercedes-Benz) tie in, I guess they'll just let it finish and then not renew.

Reply to this Topic
CMB155

Sep 11

CMB155 says:

Return To Yamaha

They say this now but they are still looking for a title sponsor and have been since Rossi left in 2010. When the bean counters look at the books and see they have been funding the entire project themselves for two years they will be, and are desperate for a title sponsor to share the costs. Despite his bad time at Ducati Rossi is still the most famous rider in the world and if he was to return to Yamaha their phones would not stop ringing with people ready to throw money at them to have 'their' logo on the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CCB

You're making some sweeping statements as though they are fact which isn't necessarily the case

With abit of luck Audi will make Preziosi start to listen to the feedback Rossi and Burgess give him , instead of making them look like clowns

You can't say as fact Preziosi hasn't listened. How many different chassis? Rossi wanted the aluminium perimeter frame and got it. He was overjoyed with it in Sepang 1. What changed? What has he asked for that he hasn't got? We have no idea. You can't say a different engine as Burgess is on record as saying the majority of designers would go with a 90 degree V4.

Regardless of the hype from previous years Rossi and Burgess don't have the engineering solutions to problems. Burgess isn't a qualified engineer either, he is a race mechanic and there is a world of difference. He doesn't design frames or engines. Rossi says what the bike is or isn't doing and if him and JB can't alter it with set up, engineers go away and discuss.

why keep building 90% v4s if it effects the chasis so badly its making the front end jackknife? Preziosi stubborness thats why.

You, I, nor anyone else knows the V4 does this for a fact. See first point about Burgess' comments on the V4. What they are complaining about now is the aggressive power delivery, not the engine configuration.  Rossi or any other rider wouldn't have a clue what engine was under them if no-one told them. Remember also, Honda did fine with a V5.

Stoner fans just cant bring themselves to admit the three wins at the end of 010 didnt have a hint of desperation about them. Nothing to lose so throw everything into it,. Very brave and fair play to Casey.

Again, supposition, you can't say that with any conviction. The only person who would know is the man himself. You only have to watch him ride to see he throws eveything into it every time.

Honda threw the kitchen sink at the last 800 to turn it into a winner

You don't know what Honda did, or whether their effort was bigger or smaller than in previous years. Honda race to win and they would have done everything they could every year to win. Dovi and Simoncelli were never going to win the championship, Pedrosa possibly if remaining injury free but he didn't. Once again, Yamaha would probably have taken the 2010 title with Lorenzo if Stoner hadn't been on the Honda as Stoner on the Ducati would have taken points from the Honda riders. Lorenzo missed as many races as Pedrosa and was way ahead. Dovi way behind and Simo, who crashed out of 50% of his races, nowhere.

It's difficult to judge just how good or bad the Ducati actually is. Hayden's best laps at Qatar, were on average about 7 to 8/10 off the fastest in every session including qualifying and the race. Rossi's were about 1.5 seconds off. Between them was Barbera on the reject bike and Abraham would have been too most likely if his brake hadn't gone. Based on history, you would have expected Rossi to be a few tenths faster than Hayden, so why wasn't he? Instead of being slower than the customer teams on the old bike. The fact he was using Hayden's set up is telling.

Hayden's times suggest that there is potential in the bike whereas Rossi is saying that nothing has changed from last year. Which suggests the CF frame wasn't to blame. Burgess says the V4 is fine in terms of configuration, so what's the problem?

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

bultoboy

like anything anyone post on here they are just my opinions.

The bulk of what i post because of statements others. Its not a FACT that there was nothing wrong with the ducati when stoner left. Its a fact he was beaten in the final standing by rossi and pedrosa who missed four races each through injury, That would indicate to me that honda and Yamaha were better bikes.

The main justification for destroying Rossi on here is the three wins stoner achieved in the run to the end of 2010. But three crashes indicate the win or bin to me.

But either way none of my opinions can ever be proved, but then again neither can anyone elses, ( apart from spies loves bittie)

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

ccb

"Its a fact he was beaten in the final standing by rossi and pedrosa who missed four races each through injury"

Pedrosa 3 I think... he was on the Honda... preparing it for Stoner.... fact!

:blink:

"That would indicate to me that honda and Yamaha were better bikes."

Yeah, the sort of accident you have on different bikes probably does make a difference... the Duc just washes out whereas the Jap bikes spit you off with a vengeance... is that what it indicates?... or would you like to give us your expert opinion?... just how many broken limbs did Stoner suffer in his crash fest?... & Hayden's a walking miracle!

Of course Rossi & Pedrosa are allowed to have their accidents but Stoner, Hayden... na... didn't think so... pushing too hard.

:wacko:

"But three crashes indicate the win or bin to me."

But an identical number of crashes Honda/Ducati means setting the bike up for Stoner's dream ride for Honda... twisting logic are we?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Tell me...

...why would I bother to research it for you?

I've answered other questions but they obviously didn't suit your argument... :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

But...

... I worked out why you chose 2003 & not 2007... because outside of last year with Stoner it's the same as Honda... strange that innit?

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Hedgey

Ive aways tsken you for one of the more balanced posters on here

I am not questioning stoners ability or suggesting he won the titles he has because of the bikes he was on. I am saying he was held back by the Ducati for three seasons after his first title win.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices