Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Would you pay more for better dealer service? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Would you pay more for better dealer service?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Would you pay more for better dealer service?

Two major dealers – George White and V&J Superbikes – who sold bikes and kit at rock-bottom prices have recently gone into administration. The situation highlights the difficult decision made by some dealers to offer cheap prices and an Easy Jet-style service in an attempt to attract bargain-hungry customers. But is that the right way to go? Or would you...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 April 2012 17:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Better service !

I take my bike to a garage 8 miles away as the muppets at the dealership in my town couldnt change a lamp on a bike let alone service one. Unfortunately the dark art of mechanical aptitude is lost with most of these outlets now.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Wrong question

Shouldnt it be good service at lower prices?

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

When you pay a rate for service, it should always be great service and a job done right.  You shouldn't have to pay extra to have something done right.

What would anyone think if they visited a shop and examined the service price board and it said:

$40/hr crap service

$50/hr regular service

$60/hr better service

$70/hr service done right

Wow, we get a choice?

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Dealer

Took my bike to the dealer for a mayor service and found a load of crap from the chain around the front sprocket ergo the cluch wasnt checked, local mecanic did the same.  Waste of money at both places so do it myself as much as possible.  £430 for a 15k service with valve clearences, what a crock!

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Garage

I take my bike to a garage just down the road. Its a proper old school bike workshop with bits everywhere and posters from the 1960's still up on the walls, cobwebs, bits of engine or parts on every available surface and they do a brilliant job. the new bike dealership about 5 miles away. everything is polished and cleaned to the max. took a 125 to get a chain changed and they let me leave without tightening up the bolt the HOLDS THE F*****G WHEEL IN PLACE. what kind of an amateur mistake is that?! Are we suppoed to check that these "mechanics" can TIGHTEN A BOLT?! Maybe if they didn't hire people based on their 6 week college diploma and maybe give them a test at the interview.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Personally

I use my local independent shop: he's 2 streets away, charges sensible money, employs competent mechanics, and does a damn fine job, and will occasionally give a bit of a discount to his known (regular) customers.

Buying at rock-bottom prices is OK - but cheapest isn't always best, further, its worthless if you land up with nowhere to take your bike if you have a problem.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

no chance

New bikes are already far too expensive and I can't understand were the costs come from when you compare the material costs to those of cars. Developement costs are 1 thing but cars have air con , electric windows, ABS, radio / cd systems and the list goes on. Most dealers I know make minimal money on new bikes but do their best to make up for it through trade-ins and 2nd hand stock where they try to get close £1500 turnaround but at current prices no-one is buying through trade-in as offers from dealers are insulting so Gumtree etc is taking over. Kit and accessories are cheaper almost everywhere else compared to dealers. A nice dealership is always pleasant to be in but so is the likes of Tesco...it should just be part of being professional and shouldn't cost that much extra..if they are good at the job then word will get around and their professionalism will pay for everything...some falsh dealers i've been in i wouldn't buy from or allow them to service a chinese bike...just money grabbers with no ability.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

servicing

The whole servicing /parts thing is a scandal total rip off.The service schedules are designed to make money for the dealers,if you look at the items CHECKED and actualy changed or adjusted they do very little for the money.i put this to the test with my deceased sprint st  (written off by mental woman in a punto) didnt have any dealer CHECKS or adjustments instead i changed my oil and filter twice a year 7000 miles a year use didnt change the plugs didnt check valve clearances until 20000 changed air filter at 15000 plus regular chain adjustment ,and it never missed a beat.or burnt oil,when it was written off it had 36500 on the clock.stuff the dealers i believe any jap bike or bm would do the same.

Reply to this Topic
ghettochildren

Jan 08

Well to be fair...

...Almost any one and every one would hop in for a cheap and cheerfull deal but let's face it, why would you want to fix something that's not brocken (dealer).

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

Yes. It's why I drive a Skoda!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle