Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Is the new Norton really a Norton? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Is the new Norton really a Norton?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Is the new Norton really a Norton?

The front page of this week's MCN proudly reveals Norton's new V4 race bike, and the story inside explains how Norton went from a blank sheet of paper to running race bike in six weeks. It's an astonishing feat, but skeptics are already questioning whether the bike is a true Norton, given that its engine is from an Aprilia and the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 April 2012 17:22)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

It's not a Norton for the same reason a Veyron is not a Bugatti - lack of continuity. That doesn't make the Veyron any less impressive as a car and it doesn't make this Spondon/Aprillia creation any less impressive as a bike. However both are the result of somebody buying up the rights to a long defunct company so they could use the name. There is no continuity between the Norton company of old (whoever owned the shares) and the company making this bike. It's not a Norton, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Using the Norton name is a gimmick - if these guys really believe in their product they should come up with their own name for their company.

Reply to this Topic
cracked

Sep 05

cracked says:

norton / s or norton to be , that is the question !

I applaud Mr Garners efforts resurrecting Norton from a bad place to where it is, and truly hope he can take it to where Triumph are, but the v4 racer is NOT a Norton, it's an Aprilia RSV4 in a different suit. Thus, it should be called an rsv4 Aprilia ! It rather looks very like a bike from the 1980's 1990 periods of time, looking at the frame/swinarm/fairing etc. I would have thought something a little more contemporary would have been aesthetically better and certainly ( by the look of the swing arm) possibly better handling etc. I doubt it will be comptitive versus current tt racers, although I'd be pleased to be wrong on all counts.I'm not a pessimist, but hey guys, get real !

Reply to this Topic
Arsey45

Jun 06

Arsey45 says:

Norton v4 tt racer

When I saw the front page I was quite excited and began reading with great anticipation, however, when I read the engine was Aprilia my heart sank. Reading on to find the frame by Spondon, forks by Ohlins,brakes by Brembo etc.What was Norton about? Virtually nothing except the name on the tank. If Norton have money to waste on this pointless project, I would far sooner have the money spent on developing their current engine which is what it desperately needs such as water cooling, twin overhead camshafts, 4 valve heads etc. Then this engine could well be on par with the likes of BMW and Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
Arsey45

Jun 06

Arsey45 says:

Norton v4 tt racer

When I saw the front page I was quite excited and began reading with great anticipation, however, when I read the engine was Aprilia my heart sank. Reading on to find the frame by Spondon, forks by Ohlins,brakes by Brembo etc.What was Norton about? Virtually nothing except the name on the tank. If Norton have money to waste on this pointless project, I would far sooner have the money spent on developing their current engine which is what it desperately needs such as water cooling, twin overhead camshafts, 4 valve heads etc. Then this engine could well be on par with the likes of BMW and Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

Norton

Yes it is a norton , How many manufcturers use other companies parts ie CCm , Ducati, Bimota and far to  many  to mention. use olins, brembo, oz wheels etc etc

To the whingers.Did any of you read the article Spondon is owned by  Mr Garner. Who owns Norton DERRRR

does it realy matter if it puts a BRITISH company in the spot light and brings jobs back to a region i am all for it .

So stop whinging and get behind a british company for once . BE PROUD

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Spondilia or Norton?

Ok, so legally it is a Norton because it's been built by the people who own the name Norton.

Whether it will be seen as a REAL Norton by the motorcycling community is another matter. You have to bear in mind that some Fords and Mazdas are built on the same production lines and badged differently as are some of the Citroens and Peugeots. 

What's in a name? Let's see how it goes around the Isle Of Man. If it does well it will make a name for itself. Pun intended. Meanwhile can I suggest (Not A) Norton for it's tank badge.
 :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

Moto2 is full

of HONDA CBR 600 s but not one of them is called a Honda, they are all FTR, SUTER or what ever. HARRIS raced in 500 s with a HARRIS (yamaha engine )   . If it,s built  or assembled  by NORTON it,s a  NORTON  , every one uses components from all manner of suppliers. To me this is what Motorcycling is all about Building  hybrids .  Best of luck NORTON .

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Test it.

Let's wait to see how it performs first and then decide.

If if rattles and leaks oil it's a Norton.

Reply to this Topic
BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

norton

No it is not a Norton.It is just a waste of money and however well it does it will not sell any Nortons on the street.Norton should concentrate on getting the ridiculous price down of the commando's to about £8000-which is all they are worth.I think the racing bike is an expensive ego trip by the owner and will bankrupt the company if he is not carefull.Who buys Nortons?Are they just bought by investors and shut away and not used?

Reply to this Topic
3brothers1

Apr 12

3brothers1 says:

Norton V4

Seems to me the point is being missed with all these references to CRT bikes, or Volvos being Fords etc etc.  What's relevant here is a comparison with other motorcycle manufacturers, not with stand-alone race teams or global car manufacturers. 

The last time I looked, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, Aprilia, Kawasaki, BMW, and Triumph were using their own engines in their race bikes.  I think this is to demonstrate how good their products are, and to encourage us to buy one.  An Aprilia engined Norton is a joke, and is in no way comparable to the current crop of CRT bikes.  If the MotoGP rules change, and prototypes are outlawed so all teams effectively have to campaign CRT bikes, we can be stone-cold certain that all the 'factory' bikes will be running their own make of engine. 

The 961 Commando on the other hand IS a Norton, even if it owes a whole lot more to Kenny Dreer than it does to Stuart Garner, and if you don't like it you don't have to (try to) buy one. But the V4 racer - no.  And it won't sell any more Commandos either...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices