Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Mod 2 - Roundabouts

Hi Guys,

I'm currently doing a DAS Course, Passed my Mod 1 today (yay!) and I have my Mod 2 on Thursday. 

One thing that I seem to be a bit twitchy/less confident on is roundabouts. 

I'm riding a CBF500 and I'm never sure which gear to be in for roundabouts. First seems to be overworking the engine, and seems like I'm going around the roundabout too slowly. 

If I went into 2nd, does feathering the clutch still have the same effect? As revs in 2nd seem a little low, so if I used the Slow Riding technique, would this help?

Also, any general tips for the Mod 2 would be greatly appreciated! 

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Mike 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 April 2012 23:11)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

roundabouts

I cannot help/teach you to past your test but i can help /teach you to ride a bike,be aware of the two.

At roundabouts give way to vehicles ON the roundabout and vehicles immediately to your right,don`t do like the majority of road users who wait for a vehicles 20 metres away(giving way) to the right to move:wacko:  

Small roundabouts need a lower gear big ones need a higher gear.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

it'll vary

according to the size of the roundabout, traffic conditions, and the exit you want (if you're going right, going down another gear can be useful).

I personally get more control with the clutch fully out rather than feathering it, and roll onto the roundabout, and a gear up will make the bike less sensitive on / off the throttle.

What your aiming to do is to be going slow enough that you can stop if need be, but have enough response in that gear to carry on if its clear.

Finally, although you (technically) give way to traffic on the right, it always pays to be aware of traffic on the left who may pull out in front of you; roundabouts are favourite spots for diesel spillage.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

When i was learning my

Das i felt the same way. Its not so much a what gear to be in as a more experience with clutch and bike control that is needed. It will come in a time and you will be thinking why did i find it so hard. Yes slip the clutch a little ortighter roundabouts in a higher gear.

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Roundabouts

I get asked this all the time................!

Question: Do you drive a car? If yes, how do you know which gear to be in? Apply the same process.

Remember, roundabouts are junctions designed to help traffic flow smoothly, so look early for a gap in the traffic from your right and use it if it's safe. Too many people look for traffic and stop when there's a safe gap right in front of them.

Treat mini-roundabouts as t-junctions; approach slowly and indicate left or right on the approach where relevant; don't indicate left to leave, there's no time and it's not useful to anyone else.:eyebrows:

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys! 

I'll try that in that case and see how I get on. 1st seems fine for the smaller ones but I'll kick it up to 2nd for the bigger roundabouts and feather the clutch of needed. 

Any other tips for the Mod 2? I've been driving a car for a while, long enough to pick up bad habits anyway! 

When passing a cyclist, would you give him as much room as a car I.e. Crossing the white line to go around him? 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Yep

give them about as much room as you would a car - depending on the road and its width, it should be achievable without actually crossing the white lines. Obviously, use judgment when you do it: moving out on the approach to a blind bit of road (potentially putting you in conflict with oncoming traffic) is a bad idea. At the same time, make sure you have an escape route if the cyclist (or indeed, horses) does something erratic or reacts unpredictably.

Other tips for Mod 2: get your lifesavers in, and don't panic.

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Thanks Again

Thanks again. I'm guessing it depends on the examiner, but when passing cyclists/parked cars, don't use an indicator, as it could be misleading to other road users? 

It's weird, I know exactly what I'd do in a car, and consider myself a safe/aware driver, but not sure it would comply enough for the DSA standards. 

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I once overtook a bus at a bus

stop on a lesson and indicated to overtake and was told not to indicate by my instructor when overtaking busses etc . The reason given was it could confuse other road users causing them to pull out on me etc

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Passed

Well just to let anyone know who cares :lol:, I passed first time with 3 minors. Very happy. Just waiting for some nice weather now! 

Thanks for all the help guys! 

Mike

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Congrats :)

now the *real* learning begins.

Stay safe and watch out for all the maniacs out there.......

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices