Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Audi's Ducati buyout - good thing? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Audi's Ducati buyout - good thing?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Audi's Ducati buyout - good thing?

Audi can spout all the boilerplate it likes about benefiting from Ducati's technical expertise in small engines, all we want to know is will its buyout be a good thing or not for the Italian firm? Is it a harmless vanity purchase by a German sugar-daddy who'll keep Ducati in treats and clean knickers or do you fear its influence will...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 April 2012 17:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Car brains vs Bike brains

The problem with having a motorcycle company owned by a car company is that the two vehicles are completely different, not just 2 vs 4 but the way they are marketed and perceived by the buying public. You have to have a car, either expensive or cheap, you do not have to have a motorcycle. This is especially true of the Ducati brand. The good news is that Audi have a great racing reputation like Ducati, so they should "understand" each other. The other great thing is that the technology that cars have right now is in many ways advanced way above that of bikes. Ducati gets to "peep" into the Audi laboratories and Audi gets a bike brand to compete with BMW, their arch rival. So hopefully the marriage will "stick"

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Its not just a good thing for ducati its a great thing. As much as I think audi cars are over rated they are one of the strongest car manufacturing companies. They have helped lamborghini since taking over there.

The german car brands, all make quality, reliable and good handling cars much better than any japanese car (which are all reliable but shit). I recon ducati's future is in safe hands.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Its not just a good thing for ducati its a great thing. As much as I think audi cars are over rated they are one of the strongest car manufacturing companies. They have helped lamborghini since taking over there.

The german car brands, all make quality, reliable and good handling cars much better than any japanese car (which are all reliable but shit). I recon ducati's future is in safe hands.

Reply to this Topic
europeben

Apr 12

europeben says:

Whilst a good thing. I do still hope audi don't take it lightly. I think we can all be buoyed by what Audi did with Lambo. Yes, Lambo's have a few audi bits in them, but the overall brand and package has matured and become more powerful as a result. Audi and ducati are related as they are objects of desire for many (I want both and can afford neither). Ducati's range is currently strong and as long as Audi don't take Ducati on a niche-filling crusade like they have with their car business recently, the brand should remain strong. That being said, there would be nothing wrong in my view with more bikes competing for the kind of markets BMW has in it's grasp. If it does, this only means that it is better for the rest of us who can't afford these premium products. It will push prices of "lesser goods" down, and what would be wrong with that?

Reply to this Topic
madproffesor

May 04

madproffesor says:

Audi, Lambo, Ducati

I was lucky to visit the Ducati and Lambo factories last July and came away thinking how sterile the Lambo factory was and how passionate the Ducati staff were. Hopefully Ducati do not become like Lambo a souless Volkwagen parts bin assembly line. The only thing at Lambo that was not in a VWAG crate were the engines and the leather seats. The body of the Aventador was being unwrapped off a VWAG trailer and fed into the production line. There is no doubting the desire for bikes that VWAG have at the top but at 74 how much influence will be there when he has passed away? What happened with VWAG and their partneship with Suzuki?

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Seems like the best option. good move.

considering that the potential new owners could have been Mercedes or Hero of India, I think VW may be the best possible scenario.  That because they already have a very impressive line of small, expensive, exotic brands, such as Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini. I think Ducati will fit right in.  For a while Duc publicly stated that they wanted to be bought by Harley, aren't we glad that never happened. 

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Prestigious Engineering

Really pleased that it went to a prestigious engineering company! Now then...!!! Is a Ducati; Italian or German! Is a Norton V4; British or Italian! Who's really worried? As long as there's quality "progressive" engineering going into these machines, don't we, as riders, benefit all the way?

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

They now share their electrical problems :)

Reply to this Topic
biaggi69

Oct 09

biaggi69 says:

there would have been no Bugatti Veyron without Audi, don't think anyone would argue if they can do the same for Ducati

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Ducati's future

The other options are either Ducati being sold to the Indians, (possibly loosing a degree of prestige and having to evolve cheaper lower brow products),...... or bankcruptcy. Bit of a no brainer this one.

From reading earlier posts when did Audi cars really become desirable? I've driven them and found them (in my opinion) to be overpriced tat and modern Audi drivers are often thought to be arogant ar&ehole$ that have little regard for other road users.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle