Skip to content

Discuss This BMW maxi scooters delayed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW maxi scooters delayed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BMW maxi scooters delayed

Production of BMW’s two new maxi scooters has been delayed while the firm tries to remedy quality issues. The C650 GT and C600 Sport were due to go on sale this month on the continent and next month in the UK but dealers are still waiting for news on when they will arrive. BMW said: 'In order to ensure the product...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 April 2012 17:34)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I like the look of these scooters, very sporty.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Where are they built? I know the engine and transmission aren't german, but where does the rest of the scooter originate?

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Taiwan

The engines are made by Kymco in Taiwan.

Other parts may come from other places...?

The bits are shipped to Germany for final assembly.

A kit of Taiwanese (or wherever) parts bolted together in Germany doesn't really merit a price tag of ten grand imo.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

You're not kidding, but BMW are about selling a badge. Look at the 4x4s they build in the US. The build quality is questionable but they don't come with price tag usually associated with US built cars. Indeed I'll bet most owners think their car was built in Germany.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

BMW SCOOTING OUT.......

I'm not surprised they're delaying the launch.......£9-10000+ for a scooter,no matter how sophisticated and luxurious is absolutely criminal. BMW if i were you i'd show the other manufacturers how its done and take a BIG step forward and launch them at £6,500-7,500 max respective. Maybe then you may sell more and get your money back?

Reply to this Topic
morristhemog

Aug 09

morristhemog says:

£10,000 for a Kymco scooter. "Just stick one of our BMW badges on it. No-one will know.."

Ridiculous.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

morristhemog

Could it be that BMW thought they could improve the build quality of a Kymco scooter to BMW levels if they just assembled it themselves, but found out too far down the line that it takes more than that? Hence the delay while they figure out how to fix it. Potential buyers better hope they don't fix the problem by throwing money at it because that will only put the price up. It already looks like a cheap copy of the new Honda Integra, but costs 2 grand more. And from what I can gather they are not as technically advanced as the Honda. I for one would prefer Honda build quality over Kymco build quality (BMW involvement notwithstanding) even if the scooters were the same price. WTF were BMW thinking? Or have they only just found out about the price and specs of the Integra.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

They were probably thinking Euro signs

Pay in Yuan, sell it for the same number of Euros / pounds.

Having owned a couple of Chinese branded bikes, I'm sure they'll look lovely when they come out of the crate, not so hot a few winters down the line.  The rubbers and plastics are a particular issue, they perish like vampires in the clean light of day.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Kymco

Downtown 300i... MCN Best Scooter 2011 Runner Up.  £3999 on the road.  Everything you'd ever need from a scooter at a fraction of the BMW's price.  Why would you?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Chinese Scooters

My Honda NHX110 Elite (Lead 110 in the UK) is built in Wuyang China, and has no defects or quality issues so far. So it can be done, but requires much involvement to maintain quality control.

As for the BMW scooters, I will wait for the next generation Honda Silver Wing or Suzuki Burgman if I want a maxi-scooter.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices