You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Riding in France

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kwack750

Apr 12

kwack750 says:

Riding in France

I am planning to ride to Le Mans for the Moto GP. I am told I need to carry 2 breathalyser along with spare bulbs, high viz vests etc.

Would you please inform me what the current French legislation requires.
Thank you 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 April 2012 18:13)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Riding in France

Apparently brethalysers are required on bikes.  (I drive through France a few times a year so have just ordered mine.  £4 for two from Amazon)  You are now also required to wear at least 150 cm2 of relfective material.  Not sure on the law re bulbs but I always carry a spare set anyway when touring on my bike. 

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

france

why do the french insist you carry two breathalysers? Are they so cheap that if they stop you they make you breathalyse yourself rather than use theirs?

Reply to this Topic
kwack750

Apr 12

kwack750 says:

France

Many thanks for your response, at least i now know where to get the breathalysers.

If the French add any more legislation for bikes we will need to tow a trailer to carry it all!!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

teamwindsor

I believe that French law only states that you must carry one brethalyser.  However, if you are stopped by the police and have to use it you are then immediately illegal because, having just used it, you no longer have one.  Ironic eh?  So the advice is to carry two on the basis that, if you are required to use one you can afterwards continue your journey legally.       

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

i understand

that the requirement for 150 cm2 of reflective material doesn't become law until 1.1.13

Reply to this Topic
kwack750

Apr 12

kwack750 says:

france

I have been search the internet and have found that the Breathalyiser does not become law until July 2012.Can anyone add more light on this.It may just be more sensible to carry a couple regardless.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices