Skip to content

Ask an Expert sports touring??????? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > sports touring???????

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

sports touring???????

am looking for a set of sports touring tyres for this year as i am doin a few longer trips and cant be sure of the weather so i was looking at the pilot road 3 or dunlop road smart 2 possibly even bridgestone BT-023's but can anyone tell me which is best i had pilot road 2's on my old r6 they were ok but were a bit cagey in some wet conditions so are the new pilot road 3's that much better?

any info would be very helpful.!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 April 2012 16:03)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

R1 on sports touring tyres.

Was hoping that someone with the same bike would answer this having fitted these tyres. Anyway, I fitted the Bridgestone BT023's to my Fireblade RR8 as i had heard good things about them. Very happy on the whole! plush ride, good grip from cold. Good feeling from the front and very stable at speed. Only fly in the ointment for me/my bike is some chassis chatter on sweeping bends at 135mph+ where 145mph+ was easily achieved using the BT016's. Nothing alarming! but you just know it will happen. Also. fast "B" road action takes a bit more effort to turn the bike due to the front grip and slightly lower profile of these tyres.

Not played with tyre presures or suspension from standard settings. 36/42psi as i'm 90% happy with them and the back tyre looks less than half worn after 3000 miles. Hoping for 6000 out of the pair. Hope this helps...........steve.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Funny Smell

I apologise in advance but, there is a distinct smell of "Bullshit" here, however I could be wrong?

steven.hood7 states,

(Only fly in the ointment for me/my bike is some chassis chatter on sweeping bends at 135mph+ where 145mph+ was easily achieved using the BT016's. Nothing alarming! but you just know it will happen. Also. fast "B" road action takes a bit more effort to turn the bike due to the front grip and slightly lower profile of these tyres.

back tyre looks less than half worn after 3000 miles. Hoping for 6000 out of the pair.)

I rode sports bikes for years, had R1's, ZX's, Mille's etc and used to do some crazy riding, (calmed down a bit now, maybe an age thing) though dont think? I ever took bends at 145 mph but wouldn't have thought about looking at speedo mid corner in any case!!!!!!!!!, anyway, I used various makes of top of the range tyres, including dual compound etc, on these bikes and I only ever averaged 3000 - 3500 miles on rear and slightly more at 3500 - 4500 on a front, tyre wear has not improved that much in the 2 to 3 years since I gave up sportsbike's, so personally dont find your comments add up, but Hey, what the fuck would I know, just my thought's.

:lol::wacko::lol: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Funny smell coming from the bryfor59 camp!

If you can't glance at your speedo while serenely cornering at 135mph+ then your obviously not comfortable with cornering at those speeds!.:laugh:

You keep to fast in a straight line and only ever wear the centre of your tyres buddy.

Reply to this Topic
yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

r1 tyres

hhmmmm i was kind of looking towards the bridgestone's to be honest but now av been told about this new maxxis diamonds from where i get my tyres from but av not really seen anyone with them on where ever av been and they would be hard to miss as the pattern is quite funky but that doesnt make them good. the price is the thing am swayin toward because they are only going to be used for going to the isle of mann tt and home then probably put on some new ones as am sure they will get a bit of a melting since were going away for a couple of weeks and making a holiday out of it not just straight there and back. normally i run qualifiers on the r1 but they are not so good in the wet at all which could be a problem here seein as am from the north of scotland and have to catch ferrys etc so kind of have to ride any weather.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Straight line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steven.hood7, your avatar says it all, though not too sure if it's Joker or Clown, suspect the latter though!! :lol:

You couldn't be more wrong by the way, I even use the full tyre riding my GSX 1400 as I did with all my sportsbikes, no chicken strips, I actually go through about 4 or 5 sets of hero blobs each year, in fact stopped buying them as they are complete rip off prices, now use 8mm bolts, but hey! you think what you like, cause  I know for certain I aint bullshitting, unlike you with your 6000 miles out a tyre whilst riding faster than Mr Stoner and his buddies

Cheers :tongue:

yamyr1, sorry bud I know my comments are not at all helpful to you and I wont hi-jack your thread again, as I said dont ride sportsbikes now so a bit out of touch with whats available and what would best suit your needs, good luck though, by the way great bike you have I have had 2 and absolutely loved them!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tyres.

I too raised an eyebrow at the mention of 145mph bends, but on the other hand, if you're the type of rider who launches the bike aggressively and brakes heavily (your choice, fair play) you'll get worse tyre wear than you will from fast cornering. Aggressive and frequent launches will also wear your chain and sprockets significantly.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was buying new tyres at every service.

I'm often surprised at the short lifespan of tyres and chains quoted here and in the press. A bit of mechanical sympathy doesn't necessarily mean you'll be much slower.

Regarding rubber, in my view the sports-touring tyres offered by any major manufacturer are all much-of-a-muchness (and very good) on the road. Water expulsion will be similar and any slides on wet roads are influenced more by greasy surfaces which no one can predict.

Choose any sports-touring tyre and be smooth.
:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tyres.

Oh, and new tyres will always be better than the worn old ones. That doesn't mean they're a superior design, it just means you've forgotten how good the old tyres were when they were new.

(Edit: typo)

Reply to this Topic
sean

Aug 02

sean says:

Pilot Road 2 / 3's

I have an R1 57plate just past 40K on it and have used lots of tyres!!!

Pirelli Corsa 2, Dunlop's Qualifyers, Michelin pilot power 2 CT's and Pilot Road 2 + 3's

For the past 7,500mls been on the Pilot Road 3's but I'm changing back to the 2's they are more of a sports touring tyre and heat up quicker and offer more grip in the dry but would agree with others that the 3's are fantastic in the wet saying that the 2 are very good as well. Have toured with both 2 + 3's in Germany and had the R1 flat out with the Ventura kit on the back both offer good stability.

R1Sean.

Reply to this Topic
yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

tyres

james600zx:

That sounds like a good bit of advice really new tyres will be better i was just lookin to find out if anyone had a prefered tyre but even still it would be each to his own really everyone is different i suppose. am going to get new rubber tomorrow now a guy from work helps out at a weekend in a garage that sells these maxxis tyres up here so i tought what the hell al give them a bash av got them for £190 fitted surely they cant be that bad. al be sure to let you know how i get on with them on my first trip which is to the TT so we will se how we go al hopefully get them scrubbed in well before i go.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Bullshit???

The problem with the Pilot Road 3's is the flatter profile compared to the 2's or a more sporty tyre. It slows the steering down too much, and when really pushed gives a vague feeling at full lean, and tends to push the bike wide.

The Road2 is a better tyre for the sports bikes. Combine the Road2 with a Pilot Power front and you will retain the quick steering so you get the best of both worlds. Sportsbike steering with sports touring rear tyre wear.

Bryfor. No offence, but tyre manufacture and development is moving all the time. If you havn't ridden on new generation tyres over the last three years your comments are just assumptions.

Sports touring tyres are now producing grip levels comparable with sports tyres of a a few years ago. Coupled with that, they are also doubling the tyre life.  I would regularly go through a rear sports tyre on a 600 within 2,500 - 3,000 miles.  With a Road2 rear on my R1, I have seen milage up to 6,000. And that is not taking it any easier on them..... And those are not my thoughts. They are fact. :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices