Skip to content

Ask an Expert sports touring??????? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > sports touring???????

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

sports touring???????

am looking for a set of sports touring tyres for this year as i am doin a few longer trips and cant be sure of the weather so i was looking at the pilot road 3 or dunlop road smart 2 possibly even bridgestone BT-023's but can anyone tell me which is best i had pilot road 2's on my old r6 they were ok but were a bit cagey in some wet conditions so are the new pilot road 3's that much better?

any info would be very helpful.!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 April 2012 16:03)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Firstly

Apologies to steven.hood7, looks like I was wrong based on fuzzrr's comments, which to be fair, I accept, because, as stated previously, I am a bit out of touch regards sportsbike v tyre performance, so please accept my apologies.

:blink:

However I do use new generation sports/touring tyres on my current bike, but I accept that it is a completely different animal to a sportsbike, I am still only getting around 3500 mls out a rear maybe 4000 - 4500 front (and have tried various makes), this is due to excessive side tread wear, but thinking about things it is probably more down to my riding style with a bike that is pretty heavy and which has a tendency to buck and bounce a bit mid corner unlike sportsbikes, which by design are much lighter and can be cornered very smoothly. (think I am still trying ride my GSX like a sportsbike when it's not!!! keeps the adrenaline flowing though!!!! think that's the technical term for the brown marks I sometimes find on my underpants!!!!). Cheers

:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Firstly reply:

Thankyou bryfor59, i accept your apologies and for the record, i'm not a joker or a clown. Just a biker like yourself.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

tyres

:sunglasses: i fitted the maxxis diamonds to the bike on saturday and did not far off 300 miles over the weekend and loved everyone after the first 50 getting used to the tyre. this tyre seems to have a high middle so when u lean intot the corner it seems to want to help and just makes cornering so much easier and far more fun the diamond pattern doesnt seem to affect anything didnt feel any movement like i thought i would with bein lots of pattern on the edges and the tyre heated up just perfect for more than enough grip when i needed it so far so good will post a better idea when i do far more miles but for £190 a set fitted i very much doubt anythin will manage to beat this the guy in the garage had them on his zx9 and said he went 8000miles and he was not bein very easy on them either but al judge that for myself in due time even i got 4000 or 5000 that would be more than enough any more would just be a bonus.

Reply to this Topic
adrenalinrush

Aug 05

Corsa 3's

Some interesting thoughts and comments in this thread. For the past 4 or 5 years I've been on Corsa 3's to the likes of Germany, pyranees, Italy and Annecy, etc amongst others and they have always stood me well for 3000 miles. I do ride hard and fast chucking it about as and where possible with the pegs hitting the ground at least twice on every trip (by accident)! Because they have never let me down and not that bad in the wet i have never thought of changing until recently for no other reason than mileage and feeling I should now be moving on to a newer tyre.  Although I do read all the reviews and posts I really don't know what to get next for my 05 fireblade, so any more comments to this thread would be very much appreciated.

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Had Bridgestone 021

on the blackbird.  Have just replaced with Mich Road Pilot 3s.  Priced and compared to Metzeler Interact, Bridgestone 023, Avon Ultra Storm and Maxxis 6209.  The Road 3s came recommended as the best of the bunch with only 10-15 quid between any of them, apart from the Maxxis, which my tyre supplier didn't stock. Only ridden 30 miles so far, but seem stable and grippy from the off.  I'm not a sportsbike rider, but make progress when possible.  I'll post again after some more miles. Btw 259 fitted to bike as a pair.

Reply to this Topic
SpeedT03

May 12

SpeedT03 says:

Metzeler Z8s

Put the new ones on min Speed Tripple as they slayed the competion in the MCN wet test and just about every other sport touring test going. Awesome 1300 miles in and I am v happy :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

tyres

well i have been to the TT and done another good few miles since i have come home maybe done about 2000miles all in all the tyres wear is great on the maxxis diamonds they still look new as the day they were put on but the grip levels in the wet are horrible i hated every minute of using them in the wet am going to go back to the pilot road 2 and get rid of these tyres.

Reply to this Topic
yamyr1

Apr 12

yamyr1 says:

tyres

well i have been to the TT and done another good few miles since i have come home maybe done about 2000miles all in all the tyres wear is great on the maxxis diamonds they still look new as the day they were put on but the grip levels in the wet are horrible i hated every minute of using them in the wet am going to go back to the pilot road 2 and get rid of these tyres.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Really?

that's interesting, because the people I know that have tried the Maxxis diamonds in the wet really rate them. Guess I'll be sticking to Power 2ct's on the Buell and Sportsmarts on my YZF then.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

fitted 023's

i ran 023's on my 02 RSVR and i used that bike in all weathers ranging from distance on m'ways to a couple of track days and i was getting 5000 miles plus from a pair.

they give plenty of grip hot or cold wet or dry

have also used Dunlop Sportsmax and they seem pretty much the same.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices