You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > It's a long way

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

petemaisey

Mar 07

petemaisey says:

It's a long way

Hello ladies and gents, my pal and I like to do an European tour most years. We usually allow 10 days for the trip. We have been to Warsaw, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Budapest, end to end of the Pyrenees etc. We usually end up doing about 2000 miles each trip.
I am starting to get bored with bashing down the same bits of Autobahn/strada etc just to get to a new bit of Europe. We have done the sightseeing bit already in the nearer parts and in any case time runs out before you get to the further afield parts.
What I thought would be good was to put ourselves and bikes on a train and just sleep through the boring bits and arrive somewhere like Croatia ready to go. Sadly I drew a blank looking for trains that cater for this.
My next thought was to stick the bikes in a van and share driving duties. This could mean arriving sooner and therefore leave more time for visiting pasture new.
The economics add up, even though a van is thirsty and dearer to take on the ferry, over distance there is a saving in fuel (van 30mpg , 2 bikes at 45mpg) and time, (petrol stops on a bike eat into your average speed).
Has anyone else had thoughts on this?:shock: Pete

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 April 2012 14:20)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
happylemon666

Mar 10

Interesting

I've thought the same as you, in that it takes a chunk of holiday to get to the interesting bit.  Never thought of your novel way around it though.  I have no idea how it would work out, but I'm interested.  Please keep us posted.

Reply to this Topic
Mike49

Jun 09

Mike49 says:

its a long way

pete, google seat61 there is a section on bike/car rail transport in europe, hope it helps.

Reply to this Topic
oliwoof

Jan 10

oliwoof says:

Solution?

We are going to offer free bike storage in the Pyrenees.  The idea is that you ride down, leave your bike for the summer, fly home after your stay with us from Lourdes airport which is only 9 miles away, and fly back when ever you want a long or short break here, where your bike will be waiting for you.

Reply to this Topic
nomad

Aug 02

nomad says:

Grea Idea

Great idea Pete we have had the occasional van with bikes in stay here for a week of riding the Central Massif, they notably a husband and wife with Ninja 600's  two bikes perhaps you might not want to ride down the paege but they were able to carry spare riding gear for all weather conditions the indicated that it was actually cheaper when you add all the costs up for Paege, fuel and Chunnel tickets, no chances of them becoming separated and less time fading about at fuel stops which are less frequent.

We have also had a van carrying 2 bikes inside plus 2 on a trailer, even more practicle.

+ you get to bring back some dutyfree ;)

Olowolf (Phil) another good idea, we have a couple of bikes for our sons to ride when they fly over. 

Reply to this Topic
oliwoof

Jan 10

oliwoof says:

Vans and trailers

We too have had bikes arrive in vans and on trailers, saves the tyres getting flat on the way down!

How are thing with you 'nomad'?

Reply to this Topic
skoota1

Apr 12

skoota1 says:

your right!...

I agree, trotting on down the bahns & toll roads etc is very boring and has to be made worth it by where you are going doesnt it. You could start off on smaller, more interesting roads as soon as you drop off the ferry, norway may interest you. or ireland. :smile

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

SNCF

You can put a bike on French motorail services. It's not quite the same deal as the old setup where you travelled with your vehicle - you hand your bike over during a 10-hour window, travel down on normal services, and pick the bike up next day (again with a 10-hour window. The bad news is that there are no services north of Paris - you'd have to hack down the Autoroute des Anglais to Paris-Bercy first, but then you can get to Nice or Biarritz overnight to go on to Italy or Spain, or to Briancon for the Alps, etc. Price is "from €99" but that is just for the bike; randomly checking one-way to Biarritz on 1 June gave me €134.

My own inclination would be to use it one-way on the way home, which is always less fun than the way out.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices