Ask an Expert rattle from the carbs Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > rattle from the carbs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nc30netherton

Feb 11

rattle from the carbs

Hi folks, Ive got an issue with my F4 hornet 600. I recently noticed a rattling sound coming from the right side carbs, when I blip the throttle or when it reaches 3-4 thousand RPM anything above that and its fine, and this is only when the engines cold, when its warm its ok. I ride the bike everyday and have never heard this before, I woke up one night (before night shift) and this sound had come from nowhere and its got me worried. Any ideas as to what the cause may be. Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 April 2012 12:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rattle

from carbs,i can only think off the carb slides.

What mileage is the bike and when did the valve clearances last get checked,also the engine oil changed and i hope your not using supermarket petrol shite.

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

rattle

hi nc is it deffo from the carbs? i know the clutch can rattle/rumble on these and goes when clutch lever pulled in which is normal , if its deffo carbs i would try balancing them first , hope this helps

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CB 600 F4 Year ?

Hi Nc 30 Netherton

Sounds like you are mistaking this carb rattle!! for cam chain rattle?

On the right side just underneath the carbs is the cam chain tensioner,i would say that this is faulty if the rattle is becoming loud and very noticeable,the one way ratchet will be broken allowing the spring loaded tensioner arm to move in and out instead of staying put and keeping the cam chain at the correct tension.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
nc30netherton

Feb 11

Jaffa, the bike is at around 21800, I had the valve clearances done at around 16000, the mechanic said it was a good engine though if that helps lol I changed the oil and filter about 1000 miles ago. I do use supermarket petrol, morrisons, sainsburys which ever im closest to. If you mean oil then no, I use Silkolene, the engine is restricted but if it wasnt I would use Castrol as id be revving it higher. And albert I know the sound you mean and it isnt that, not sure if ive had the carbs balanced or not since I bought ill have to have a look at my receipts. And finally kcmc, its a 2004 model, I thought about cam chain tensioner as I have read that is a weakness of the bike, so I think ill look into that. Cam chain tensioner or valve balancing then by the looks of things. Thanks guys :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

rattle

nc how has it been restricted? if its had washers put into the intake side one hasn't come loose has it?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rattle

I would take k.c.m.c advice.

Reply to this Topic
nc30netherton

Feb 11

Seems it was the cam chain tensioner, im getting it fixed today :biggrin: thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices