Skip to content

Ask an Expert New Bike????? HELP!!! New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > New Bike????? HELP!!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jonny17L

Apr 12

jonny17L says:

New Bike????? HELP!!!

I am 17 years old and I am currently deciding upon my first bike.... I really need help deciding the best course to take as I do not know anyone who is a biker. I want to know is it better to just buy a 125cc (superbike type) or to buy a bike at 33bhp? I know that if I had a 33bhp one I would have to pass the test first but I would not have a motorcycle and so I do not know if I would be able to....

Please can you give me advice as to what is the best option to take 125cc or somehow pass the test and get a 33bhp one?????

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 April 2012 19:13)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

ifs n buts

if u can afford )it do ur test 1 . its safer as you will have more training  2, after a while on a wee bike u will want somethin bigger ( been there done it) , however if u do ur CBT u can ride a wee bike straight away , but like i said ide go full test and enjoy the full benefits of biking , whatever you choose ride carefully and enjoy 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike choice

Yep, spot on advice.  Test first then 33bhp machine.  :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What you

can do, is get a cheap 125 (Honda CG or Yamaha YBR), and use that while you do your lessons (indeed, if you use your own bike for lessons that way, you may be able to do it cheaper as you won't have bike hire to pay), plus it'll let you get out and practice between lessons.

I wouldn't bother with the sporty / superbike type 125s: the 4-stroke 125s all have roughly the same performance anyway regardless of what they look like, 2-strokes can be high-maintenance and expensive to run, and anything with fairings / plastic bodywork will be expensive when you drop it (you almost certainly will).

The other point with the cheap 125 is it'll be easier to insure to start with, and you can use it to get some NCB for when you pass the test and trade up. Its not impossible to sell a decent 125 for almost the same money as you bought it for.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
stuartivey

Apr 12

stuartivey says:

new bike

i had a honda cg125 i did my test on kept that for a year then bought a honda cb-1 400cc restricted.

cheap to buy and run an handle brill an are quick for what they are,

get your theory done an do your cbt and do the restricted licence training and test straight away mate.

cbt is still fresh in your head and you cant pick up bad habits at all then go for a 400cc or something like a honda cb500 not flash but will scare the pants off u start.

then after your 2 years get something really nice mate

hope this helps this is the route i chose i went from the honda cb1 to a kawasaki zx9r lol big step but boy was it fun lol

all the best

Reply to this Topic
kwack750

Apr 12

kwack750 says:

New bike

Having past my test many years ago without any lessons (none available in those days) I would suggest that you do your test after lessons, this way you will start your riding career off on the right footing.

Good luck whatever your decision

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices